Scenario:My friend Jerry had a new PC, and he wanted to connect his old external hard drive (previously drive “E” on his old computer) to the USB port. It shows up as drive “I”. He thought that he need to change the drive letter back to drive “E” so that his cloud storage backup will recognize the drive. But he failed. He cannot change the drive letter through Windows Disk Management.
When We Need Change Drive Letter
Sometimes, we need to change drive letter to solve some problems. In our daily life, we may meet those scenarios which may lead us to change the drive letter as following:
1. Connect one PC to another one.
2. Upgrade the drive and the new drive letter can’t be changed to the previously used drive.
3. The drive has been hidden so that we can change drive letter to show it.
4. Reform system and the drive letters changed.
The users may think that we can change the drive letter with Windows Disk Management. However, for some reasons it can’t change drive letter, which make a big confused to us.
How Can We Deal with those Problems and the Specific Steps
Windows Disk Management cannot change drive letter in some situations as we mentioned above. Thus, we need to find a third-party partition tool to help us, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant, which has very simple operation and multiple functions.
Before using AOMEI Partition Assistant to change drive letter, there are some tips for you:
1. AOMEI Partition Assistant will keep your data safe, so you won’t worry it.
2. Make sure that there is no program processing. If there is, AOMEI Partition Assistant will remind you to close the processing program.
3. Directly changing drive letter may cause some programs and their shortcuts work incorrectly.
4. If the system has been installed on a partition, you will not be allowed to change the drive letter.
There are the specific steps by using AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
Step1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. Right click the partition you want to change the drive letter. Choose the “Change Drive Letter” under the “Advanced” as the following screenshot.
Step2.After the step1, it will open a pop-up window and you can choose any drive letter you want.
Step3.After selecting the new drive letter, click “OK” and finally click “Apply” to commit the command.
Here, we successfully changed the drive letter from G to H. It’s very simple and the operation is easy too.
I hope that this passage will help you to change drive letter easier.