Is it possible to clone HDD to smaller SSD?
Migrating HDD to SSD is one of the ideal ways to upgrade your computer since the reading and writing speed of SSD is much faster. But it can be tricky to clone old hard drive to a smaller SSD because your data won't necessarily all fit on the drive. So when it comes to this topic, many people have difficulty in finding a proper software to solve the problem. Don’t worry! Here, AOMEI Partition Assistant makes it possible.
About AOMEI Partition Assistant
AOMEI Partition Assistant is a powerful partition manager equipped with a variety of features and user-friendly interfaces which aim to make your disk/partition management much easier and safer.
As shown from its main interface, many utilities are available so that you’re able to manage your partiton/disk through “Resize Partition”, etc or more advanced ones such as migrate OS from GPT disk to SSD, “Make Bootable Media” and so on. It supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista as well as XP (32&64bit) and most Operations can be done without data loss just by a few of clicks. Now let’s see how to clone old hard drive to a smaller SSD easily through this tool.
How to: clone via AOMEI Partition Assistant
You need to install and launch Partition Assistant. Before transferring HDD to SSD, ensure the smaller SSD has been connected to your computer and it is blank or said unallocated space. Otherwise, data on SSD will be wiped. If there’s something important, please back up first.
1) Right click the old hard drive and select “Copy Disk”. The “Disk Copy Wizard” on the left side works the same.
2) In the pop-up window, keep the default option because you’re cloning old hard drive to a smaller SSD.
3) Select the target disk. Don’t forget to tick the box to optimize the performance of SSD.
4) It allows you to adjust the partition size in this step. Set according to your needs.
5) Please read note carefully then click “Finish” for confirmation.
6) Pending operations will be displayed as the following picture shows. Click “Apply” to execute. This is also another advantage of AOMEI Partition Assistant. In this case, you don’t have to worry about any accident human mistake during the process.
Afterwards, Partition Assistant will successfully copy HDD to the smaller SSD soon.