Why can’t you copy A 4GB or larger file to USB?
To begin, there are two kinds of file systems, FAT32 and NTFS. FAT32 is widely used in different kinds of devices, like hard drive, DVD player, USB and so on. But its biggest disadvantage is that 4GB is the maximum size of a single file while the limitation of a partition capacity is 2TB. NTFS has no such limitation of single files’ size and allows a partition size to be up to 256TB.
If you can’t copy 4GB or larger file to USB, usually, there is with an error message “The file is too large for the destination file system”. And this because that your files are larger than 4GB but your USB is formatted with the FAT32 file system even there is enough free space. Then how to transfer 4GB file to USB successfully? It’s easy! You just need to change FAT32 to NTFS.
How to change the USB from FAT32 to NTFS format?
Method 1: using Windows Tool
If your USB is empty or contains no important files, using Windows Format command to format the USB with the NTFS file system is a way.
1. Attach the USB to your computer, wait for Windows to recognize it and assign a new drive letter to it.
2. Open the computer folder and locate the drive letter assign to the USB you want to format with NTFS.
3. Before you continue, open the USB in a window and make sure it’s empty or doesn’t contain any important files, because all data on the USB will be erased after you format it. If there are files on the USB that you want to keep, please backup files first.
4. Now you can go back to the Computer folder, and right click on the icon of the USB to select Format.
5. Select the NTFS in the File System drop-down menu. Click Start.
6. In the Windows, there is a warning for you that the data on the USB will be erased totally after formatting. Click OK to continue.
As a result, you should have the same USB, but now it should have the NTFS files system on it. Now you should be able to copy 4GB or larger file to USB just fine.
Method 2: convert FAT32 to NTFS without formatting
As we see, it is a problem to format USB as NFTS with Windows when there are important data on the USB, which creates a risk of losing data. Therefore, we’d like to recommend you another way that you can convert FAT32 to NTFS without formatting. To do so, AOMEI Partition Assistant is what we need.
1. Download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, install and launch it. You will see the USB shown as FAT32, then right click it to select Convert to NTFS under the Advanced tab.
2. It will pop out a window that you can confirm the operation. Click OK to continue.
3. You will back to the original window, but you can see the file system of your FAT32 USB has changed into NTFS. Click Apply to execute it.
AOMEI Partition Assistant is a freeand professionaldisk manager that can manage both your internal drive and external drive, which safely convert FAT32 to NTFS and vice versa. After converting, the data existed on the FAT32 USB still exist on the NTFS USB.Now, you can successfully copy 4GB and larger file to USB.