“After using a Windows 10 Dell laptop for a time, I started receiving Low Disk Space warning on C drive. Then I open File Explorer to check the status of partition C and found it almost full. I didn’t put any files on this partition. Why is C drive on Dell laptop full? How can I resolve Low Disk Space issue on Dell computer?”
What is filling up C drive on Dell computer?
As the default download folder is located in C drive, you may have saved large files to C drive but you don’t know. Page files, previous Windows installation, temporary files and other system files can take up system space on C drive as well. What’s more, if your computer is infected with virus, virus may generate files to fill up C drive.
What can you do to free up space on C drive?
Here will offer you several ways to free up space for C drive on Dell computer that is running Windows operating system.
1. Run anti-virus software to scan Dell computer
If there are chances that your computer is infected with virus, it is recommended to perform a virus scan at first. You can use Windows Defender or third-party anti-virus software to scan your computer.
2. Delete unwanted files on C drive
You can launch Disk Cleanup to delete unwanted files on C drive by following steps below:
Warning: Before deleting, you should make sure that you don’t need the files anymore.
1. In File Explorer, right click C drive and choose Properties.
2. In the pop-up window, click Disk Cleanup.
3. It will calculate the capacity of space that you can free up. Then, choose the files that you want to delete and click OK.
3. Uninstall unnecessary applications
If you have installed some applications on C drive and now you want to uninstall them to reclaim space, you can do as follows:
1. Press Windows +R, input control panel and go to Programs > Programs and Features.
2. Locate the program that you want to uninstall, right click it and click Uninstall.
If there is still not enough space for C drive on Dell computer, you can try to delete hibernation file to free up disk space.
How to extend C drive on Dell computer?
If you have no intend to free up space for C drive on Dell computer, you can increase the capacity of system partition to fix Dell computer C drive full issue. When there is a contiguous unallocated space behind C drive, you can extend partition C effortlessly. But what if there is no such unallocated space?
You can use a partition manager – AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to allocate free space to C drive from another partition. Install and run it. Then, refer to the step-by-step guide:
1. Right click the partition that has enough free space (Here is Partition D) and choose Allocate Free Space.
2. On this page, determine the size of free space that you want to allocate to C drive and choose C drive as destination drive. Then, click OK.
3. You’ll return to the main console. If you are satisfied, click Apply and Proceed to commit the operation.
If your current hard drive is too small, it is time to consider replacing it with a larger one. You can clone current hard drive to larger disk to applications and OS reinstallation.