Hello all! Last week I just bought a new laptop, so I am selling the old one with someone already willing to buy it. But I want to erase it before delivering it to next owner so that all my private information cannot be accessed or recovered. So do you guys know how to erase laptop hard drive before selling? How can I make sure it's totally, irreversibly wiped clean? All suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Need a powerful hard drive eraser
It is a bad idea to sell your laptop with the contents of its SSD or HDD intact. You will risk exposing all your personal data.You should erase laptop hard drive before selling. It is not as easy as deleting everything on the hard drive or formatting hard drive. Moreover, when you format a hard drive, the data just becomes invisible to the operating system. However, it is still there and can be recovered by some data recovery tools.
Therefore, what you need is a functional hard drive eraser. AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is a highly-recommended choice. It does well in wiping all data from a chosen hard drive securely and permanently.
How to erase laptop in Windows via AOMEI Partition Assistant?
Since the constructions and operating principles of HDD and SSD are different, AOMEI Partition Assistant provides two different ways to wipe hard drives: “Wipe Hard Drive” and “Secure Erase SSD”. The former is designed for wiping all data from the HDD while the latter is to erase datafrom SSD. Below is how to erase laptop HDD and SSD via this software.
Before you proceed:
Backup data which you don’t want to wipe from the disk you are going to erase.
Windows does not allow you to wipe system disk when system is running. Therefore, to erase all data on the system disk, you need to make bootable media and do the clean in Windows PE mode.
Part 1. Steps to erase data from HDD completely
When you want to wipe data from Hard disk drive, follow the step-by-step guide below.
1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. Right click the drive you need to wipe and select “Wipe Hard Drive”.
2. Choose a method to wipe hard drive. “Fill sectors with Zero” is recommended, which is safe and quick.
3. Click “Apply” in the tool bar to execute the operation.
Part 2. Steps to erase data from SSDpermanently
SSD Secure Erase function is useful when you need to erase your SSD securely and permanently. But it is only available on Windows 7 at present. So please connect your hard drive to a Windows 7 based computer with SATA and make sure it is detected.
1. Run AOMEI Partition Assistant and click on “SSD Secure Erase Wizard” in the left side.
2. Choose the SSD you’ll erase from the list. Double click the SSD to view its specific information.
3. At “SSD identification information” page, you may find the SSD is in a frozen state which set to ensure no one can modify your drive settings. Perform a hot swap to release this restriction.
4. Click “Next” to start wiping all data on SSD drive completely.
How to perform a Hot Swap?
First, open computer case, rear cover or drive shell and find out the SSD you’ll erase.
Second, unplug the power cable and then disconnect the SATA data cable from SSD.
Finally, after a few seconds, reconnect the SATA cable to the SATA port and then plug the power cable back to complete the hot-swap.
So there you have the best software to erase laptop hard drive before selling. Besides, AOMEI Partition Assistant is not far more than a hard drive eraser. You can also use it as an SSD optimization tool to solve SSD slowing down issue by setting SSD partition 4K alignment or securely erasing SSD to restore its peak performance.