RAW File System Pen Drive Issue
I have some problems about RAW file system. I bought a Kingston pen drive and stored my travel photos. I want to look through these pictures, so I insert the Kinston pen drive into my laptop, but the Windows only showing a message: Disk is not formatted. Besides, the file system of Kingston USB is also changed into RAW, not FAT32 as before. Please help me to overcome this issue, Thanks a lot.
What Is RAW File System?
In this case, what is the RAW file system? RAW file system is a file system that cannot be recognized by Windows. Windows can read the hard drive, USB pen drive, and SD card with these file systems: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS. On the other hand, if the pen drive which was created but not yet initialed is also indicated as RAW file system.
Why RAW File System Pen Drive Issue Occurs?
Typically, the RAW file system issue often happens when you remove the pen drive without safely remove. After this faulty operation, the file system type information could be missing or the system tables are damaged. Furthermore, the virus attack, power outage, format failure, and bad sectors could also cause the RAW drive. You’ll encounter these problems as below when you have a RAW file system pen drive:
1. When you insert the RAW file system pen drive into your computer, you will get a warning: You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it. Do you want to format it?
2. The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
3. The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
4. The Disk Management shows RAW or no file system type, and shows 0 byte in the RAW drive properties.
5. The drive is not accessible.
These error message refer to the pen drive has a RAW file system. How to fix it? The best way to repair USB RAW file system is to format RAW file system pen drive correctly and efficiently.
How to Format RAW USB Pen Drive in Windows 10/8/7?
Be relax, there are two ways to format RAW file system for pen drive: CMD and the format raw file system pen drive software-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
How to format RAW file system pen drive using CMD
In order to repair RAW file system pen drive, you could use the DiskPart commands to
format the RAW pen drive, here are the steps:
1. Type cmd in the search box on the desktop. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator to open Command Prompt.
2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
3. Input list disk and press Enter. According to the list disk information, check which disk is your USB flash drive.
4. Type select disk # (# is the number of your RAW pen drive).
5. Type clean.
6. Input create partition primary.
7. Input format fs=fat32 (or format fs=ntfs) and press enter.
8. Type assign and press enter.
Format RAW USB with AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard
It’s a piece of cake for AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard to format a pen drive with RAW file system. It allows you to format RAW file system to NTFS or FAT32. This software also applies to USB flash drive, external hard drive, memory card, SD card, etc.
Follow the instructions to format RAW file system pen drive easily in Windows 7/8/10:
Before that, make sure your pen drive’s important data has been backed up. Free download the RAW file system format tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
Install and launch the program, right click the RAW file system pen drive that you’re planning to format, hit Format Partition.
Choose NTFS or FAT32 as the File System of pen drive, press OK.
Press Apply at the left upper corner to format RAW file system pen drive to NTFS/FAT32.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard also permits you to remove write protection for USB drive/SD card, create second partition on SD card, create bootable media, etc. In addition, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional has more advanced features for professional users, like convert dynamic disk to basic, allocate free space from one partition to another, convert disk between NTFS and FAT32 without losing data and many more.