“I have a Lenovo laptop purchased server years ago. It is with 1 hard disk drive that contains Windows 10 operating system. Now, the laptop runs and acts slowly. Thus, I want to format the laptop to restore its performance. But how should I do?”
Two ways to format Lenovo laptop
It’s not easy to reformat the system hard drive in Lenovo laptop as you are not allowed to format system partition directly within Windows environment. To help you achieve the goal, two detailed methods are given below.
Warning: The two methods will delete all data on Lenovo laptop hard drive and make the disk becomes unbootable. You can backup necessary files in advance.
Format laptop hard drive with USB
This way is for laptop users who don’t have Windows installation CD/DVD or unfamiliar with computer knowledge.
PS.: If your Lenovo laptop is unbootable, you can plug it into a working Windows based computer.
2. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Click Make Bootable Media and clickNext.
3. Choose USB Boot Device and click Proceed
4. Wait patiently for the process to complete. Then, click Finish.
5. Enter BIOS to boot your Lenovo computer from the bootable USB drive. Upon loading, you’ll be in the main console of AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Right click the Lenovo laptop hard drive and choose Delete All Partitions.
6. It offers you two options to delete all partitions: Delete all partitions and Delete all partitions and Wipe all data on the hard drive. Choose one based on your demand and click OK.
7. Click Apply> Proceed to commit operation.
If you want to only format creation partition on the hard drive like C drive, right click the partition, select Format Partition and do as the following prompts.
You are allowed to wipe hard drive from BIOS on Lenovo laptop as well via AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
Format laptop hard drive with Windows installation disc
This way can be applied by laptop users who own Windows installation CD/DVD.
1. Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD into your Lenovo computer and enter BIOS to boot from it.
2. Go to Repair your computer >Advanced options > Command Prompt.
3. In Command Prompt interface, run the commands listed as follows in order.
select disk n (“n” is the disk number of the Lenovo laptop hard drive you want to format)
If you want to format just one partition like Partition C: on hard drive, type the following command instead: format c: /fs:ntfs
After that, you can reinstall Windows operating system and other necessary applications.
Wrap things up
Having realized two different ways to format Lenovo laptop hard drive in Windows 10/8/7, you can pick up one way according to your own specific condition. In fact, you can perform more operations, such as cloning system disk to SSD, allocating free space from one partition to another partition and recovering lost partition etc, if you upgrade AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard to Professional version.