About internal hard disk
An internal hard disk is the primary storage device, which contains the operating system, pre-installed programs and other vital user personal files. So it plays an important role in ensuring that your computer and system run well.
But similar to external hard drives, the internal hard disk sometimes also gets corrupted or damaged. When that occurs, your system won’t boot successfully and computer will stop working.
Brief analysis of corrupted internal hard disk
Before proceeding how to repair corrupted internal hard disk, you had better understand why it happens and how can you tell the internal hard disk is damaged.
As a matter of fact, there are many issues that can trigger hard disk damages. Here we list some common reasons for your reference.
1. Virus and malware attack: if your hard disk is infected by some unexpected or unknown virus, then it might be damaged to some degree and become inaccessible.
2. Sudden power loss: if the hard disk suffers a sudden power failure during working, it can also be seriously damaged or failed.
3. Bad sectors: when the internal hard disk has some bad sectors, the disk failure can also occur.
4. Damaged MBR (Master Boot Record): when the MBR of the internal hard disk gets damaged, the disk will fail, too.
5. Improper human operations: hitting the hard disk by accident, frequently formatting it or dropping it down to the ground and more can damage the internal hard disk.
6. Hard disk overheating. When your computer hard disk is overheated and very hot, it can be burned and damaged as well.
You can tell a computer internal hard disk is damaged from the following typical symptoms.
1. Computer system will not able to boot up properly and pop out some error messages like “Operating System Not Found”, “Invalid Partition Table” and “Missing Operating System”.
2. Computer shut down suddenly, or reboot on its own.
3. Computer often freezes all of a sudden.
4. Hard disk drive becomes RAW partition.
5. You are frequently asked to format the disk every time when you attempt to access it in Windows Explorer.
6. Hard disk generates strange sounds during working.
If you have found one of the symptoms above on your internal hard disk, the disk is sure to get damaged.
How to repair corrupted internal hard disk?
Since the internal hard disk contains OS and other important data, you should use a data recovery program like Recoverit to restore them and make a backup before they are gone forever. Then you can follow the methods below to take chances.
Before walking through the listed methods, you can first check the power supply, and run a reliable anti-virus software to check whether the problem can be fixed. If not, keep reading on.
Method 1. Use Windows CMD tool (Require Windows Disc)
Built-in Windows CMD is a very useful tool, with which you can check and fix bad sectors, and repair damaged MBR on the hard disk.
But how to open Command Prompt window? That depends on whether your Windows can boot successfully or not.
> If your Windows can boot successfully, you can click the Search box, input CMD, and right click the given Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator to open the CMD window.
> If your Windows cannot boot successfully, you need the help of Windows installation disc to open CMD window as the following instruction.
1. Insert Windows installation disc into your computer, boot from it.
2. Select language, time and keyboard input, and click Next.
3. For a Windows 10 or Windows 8.1/ 8 installation media, go for Troubleshoot>Command Prompt. For a Windows 7 installation media, in System Recovery Options, select the first item and Windows 7 as the operating system, click Next>Command Prompt.
After opening the CMD window, you can check bad sectors and fix damaged MBR now.
To check bad sectors
You just need type chkdsk C: /F and press Enter in the window. (where C is the drive letter of one partition on the internal hard disk).
In most cases, you will receive a message saying “Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”
In this situation, you can answer the question with a “Y” for yes, andpressing Enter. ThenChkdsk will run automatically the next time you reboot Windows.
To fix MBR of the internal hard disk
A damaged MBR is one of the most reasons for a corrupted internal hard disk, so fix or rebuild MBR is an important part of how to repair corrupted internal hard disk. To fix MBR in Command Prompt window, type the following commands in sequence and hit Enter after each one.
Then restart your computer when it completes.
Method 2. Use a GUI hard disk repair software (Not require Windows Disc)
The instruction about how to repair corrupted internal hard disk via CMD tool is complicated? The internal hard drive becomes RAW in Windows, and the error message-CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives appears when running CHKDSK? Or you don’t have a Windows installation disc to open CMD window to fix MBR?
To get around all the awkward situations, here we recommend you a reliable GUI hard disk repair software-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (supporting Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista). This freeware allows you to create a bootable media, then check (RAW) partition and rebuild MBR without using Windows disc.
To create a bootable USB: Connect an empty USB to a working computer, download the free software, install and run it on the working computer. Click Make Bootable Media Wizard and follow the hints to create a bootable USB. (PS: it will contain installed AOMEI Partition Assistant.)
Then you can follow the steps below to rebuild MBR and check RAW partition.
To rebuild MBR
Step 1. Plug the bootable USB in the computer with a corrupted internal hard disk. Enter BIOS and change the boot order to make your computer boot from the bootable USB just created.
Step 2. Once login, you will see the loaded AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Right click the internal disk and select Rebuild MBR.
Step 3. Choose a proper MBR type for the current OS you are using and click OK.
Step 4. In the main interface, click Apply>Proceed to start rebuilding the MBR.
To check RAW partition
Step 1. Right click the RAW partition in AOMEI Partition Assistant and go for Advanced>Check Partition.
Step 2. Tick the last method to check whether there are some bad sectors on the partition and click OK.
Step 3. Click “Start” to begin checking process.
What’s more, you can check an entire disk under the help of “Surface Test” feature.
If you are curious about how to repair corrupted internal hard disk using CMD, this article offers you effective solutions. It is worth mentioning that AOMEI Partition Assistant is versatile software, making it possible to repair damaged hard disk without Windows disc, and you can also use it to format system partition. If you are mainly using Windows Server, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.