What’s the HP tools partition?
If you have a HP desktop or laptop, you are likely to find there is a HP-tools primary partition on your hard drive. It does not have a drive letter, so you cannot see or access it in File Explorer. In Disk Management, you can see that this partition labeled as HP_Tools has about 100MB space and 0nly 10% of used space. This small partition is for BIOS updates and system diagnostics. As you know, for HP computers, you can press Esc at startup, and then F2 to access HP system diagnostic. If you delete this tiny partition or move the files in the HP_Tools partition, then HP System Diagnostics will not work anymore.
How to access HP_tools partition?
To better understand this partition, you can assign a drive letter to it, so you can see what in the HP Tools partition. To assign a drive letter with Disk Management:
1. Open Disk Management. You can type “diskmgmt.msc” in a Run box and press Enter.
2. Right click on the HP_tools partition, and select”Change drive letter and path”.
3. In the next window, click “Add” to select a drive letter, for example, E:, and click ”OK”.
After opening this partition, you can see there is only a few megabytes of data on it. Since it has a drive letter, other programs also can access HP-tools (E) drive. Some malware may write data to it, which will lead to HP tools E: drive full.
HP-tools E: drive is full, how to clean up?
By default, the HP-tools partition has enabled System Protection. You can disable it through Control Panel > System Security >System > System Protection. In the pop out window, click “Configure” to turn off system protection.
You can also open HP-tools partition in Windows File Explorer to delete some unwanted files. Delete the folder with user’s name, HP-HP, and the MediaID.bin file. After that, the low disk space on HP-tools partition should be gone.
Though it is small, it is also a primary partition. As a matter of fact that an MBR disk only allows you to have 4 primary partitions or less than 4 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.
For people who want to
create more partitions on the hard drive, they want to delete this
Safely delete the hp_tools partition
If you want to get rid of the HP_Tools Partition without losing the system diagnostics function, you can copy it to an USB flash drive with free partition manager software AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Then the USB drive will work just like a HP recovery disk. When you every need to run the system diagnostics, you just plug in this USB drive. It is also recommened to create an image backup of this tools partition in case any unexpected problems happen. After that you can safely delete this partition. The specific steps listed below:
1. Plug in a USB drive.
2. Download this freeware, install and run it.
3. In the interface of AOMEI Partition Assistant, right click on the USB drive, select “Delete Partition”, and click”OK”.
4. Right click on the “HP-tools partition” and select “Copy Partition”.
5. In the pop out windows, select the USB drive, which should be shown as unallocated space, as the destination location.
6. Click “Apply” to start the copy process.
7. After finishing copying partition, right click on the tools partition and select”Delete Partition”. Then click “Apply” to apply the operation.
Then you should be able to create a new partition by shrink one of the existing partitions. However, this USB drive cannot be used to store other data, which is such as a waste. If you use the AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, you can convert the HP tools partition to logical partition without data loss. Then you can use this software to create more partitions.