The overview of SSD
SSD, the short of solid state drive, is a data storage device that stored data on interconnected flash memory chips. It contains all features of traditional hard disk drive (HDD). But the SSD is more stable, safer and faster than HDD. Thus, many users want to replace HDD with SSD to get a better performance.
Ultimate Windows SSD performance
However, you may find that your SSD works slower and slower as the time goes by. If you need to optimize its properties, you need to find a way to reach up the ultimate Windows SSD performance. Here will introduce you two ways to optimize the SSD’s performance.
SSD 4K alignment
SSD users all know that SSD adopts the smallest 4K sector in file system to save data. However, the 4K allocation units are not always aligned in SSD. If so, the SSD would be in bad performance: even a small data would occupy two 4K sectors of computer, which may lead the read/write across multiple sectors, and you will take more time for a work. Thus, you should make SSD 4K alignment for the SSD optimization.
Here we highly recommend you the third party software AOMEI Partition Assistant professional, which provides you the Partition Alignment. With this function, you can reach SSD 4K alignment easily.
Connect your SSD to a Windows PC. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. Right click the partition you want to align. Select Advanced->Partition Alignment. Then, wait till the progress done.
Reset SSD to factory settings
SSD’s performance may decrease day by day. To ultimate Windows SSD performance, reset SSD to factory settings should be the best way. Reset SSD performance isn’t the simple thing of wiping hard drive. If you use the same way of wiping HDD to wipe SSD, your SSD may be hurt, even broken. Thus, you can choose Secure Erase SSD, which can help you reset SSD to factory settings and restore SSD to peak performance. Well, how to secure erase SSD?
Different SSD has different way to secure erase. For example, if you are using Intel SSD, the Intel provides you a special tool for secure erasing Intel SSD; if you are using Samsung SSD, you can use Samsung Magician tool to secure erase the Samsung SSD, etc. However, not all SSD have the SSD management tool. Here we will introduce you the most common method of secure erasing SSD - Using AOMEI Partition Assistant to secure erase SSD.
1. Free download AOMEI Partition Assistant. Install it to your Windows 7 computer.
2. Connect your SSD to the Windows 7 computer.
3. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, you will see the main interface that contains all hard drive(s) on your computer. To ultimate Windows SSD performance, here, click Secure Erase SSD Wizard at the left pane, or right click the SSD, select SSD Secure Erase as the following screenshot.
4. Then, it will give you a note that the Secure Erase will reset your performance dropping SSD to factory settings, which will increase the read and write speeds of SSD drive. Make sure you have backed up the important data on the SSD and click Next.
5. Then, you need to choose the SSD that you need to secure erase. Click Next.
6. Then, you will move to the SSD identification information.
Here you may see “The selected SSD is in a frozen state.” if the SSD is in a frozen state, you should perform hot swap for this SSD to relieve the frozen state:
1) Open your computer case. If it is a laptop, open the computer's rear cover or drive shell.
2) Located the SSD that needs to be securely erased.
3) Unplug the power cable from the SSD.
4) Disconnect the SATA data cable from the SSD.
5) Reconnect the SATA cable to the SATA port on the SSD.
6) Finally, plug the power cable back into the SSD’s power connector.
7. After completing the hot swap, you can continue to secure erase SSD with AOMEI Partition Assistant until the SSD has been secure erased successfully.
Secure Erase SSD can not only help you gain ultimate Windows SSD performance, but also help you a lot. If you want to give away the SSD, or sell the SSD, secure erase SSD would help you wipe the data of SSD permanently without hurting its lifespan and restore SSD to peak performance.
AOMEI Partition Assistant is a great disk manager that helps you manage your hard drive(s) to stay in the best status. If you do not like your hard drive in present, and want to change hard drive to a larger one, AOMEI Partition Assistant would help you clone bootable hard drive to a new drive while keeping old operating system and applications. It is worth to use.