Windows XP dynamic disk Vs basic disk
Windows XP provides two disk storage types: basic and dynamic. A basic disk is a physical disk that contains primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives. A dynamic disk contains dynamic volumes and does not have a partition table. The information about the layout of disk volumes is in a database stored on the last 1 MB of the disk. Dynamic disks provide features that basic disks do not have, such as unlimited number of volumes on a disk and physical disks can be combined.
Convert Windows XP basic disk to dynamic disk
Windows XP Disk Management snap-in supports the conversion from basic disk to dynamic disk without losing data. However, before making the conversion, you need to be aware of the following matters:
1. If you use Windows XP Home Edition, or if you’re running Windows XP Professional on a portable computer, you cannot create or use dynamic disks.
2. Converting to Windows XP dynamic disk is intended to be a one-way process. It is only possible to convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk at the expense of losing all your data.
At any command prompt, enter "diskmgmt.msc" to log on. Or right-click the "My Computer" icon on the "Start menu" and choose "Manage", and then select Disk Management on the left side of the Computer Management window. In the Windows XP Disk Management window, right-click the disk you want to convert and select "Convert to Dynamic Disk" as below:
Which dynamic volumes does Windows XP dynamic disk support?
In general, dynamic disks consist of five types of dynamic volumes, including simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes, mirrored volumes and RAID-5 volumes. However, Windows XP cannot support all of them, and you are able to configure Windows XP dynamic disk with only simple volumes, spanned volumes and striped volumes, these last two types combining space from multiple dynamic disks.
Windows XP dynamic disks and volumes management
As dynamic disks become widely used, many Windows XP users may need to seek for more professional and safer solutions for better dynamic disk performance. In this regard, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition stands out. With comprehensive and magic functions, it helps you manage Windows XP dynamic disk partition volume as you wish. The user-friendly interface of AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager is as below:
- Resize/Move dynamic disk partition eaily and safely
- Extend dynamic system volume to optimize computer performance
- Convert dynamic disk to basic without losing data
- Convert GPT disk to MBR disk and ensure data integrity
- Repair "GPT Protective Partition" without deleting
- Learn more...