Dynamic Disks and Volumes
A Dynamic disk is a physical disk with features that basic disks do not have, such as support for volumes spanning multiple disks. Volumes on dynamic disks are called dynamic volumes. Dynamic disks can support up to 2,000 dynamic volumes per disk. You create the following volume types only on dynamic disks.
- New simple volumes that consists of a single disk.
- Volumes that span multiple disks (spanned volumes and striped volumes).
- Volumes which provide fault tolerance (mirrored volumes and RAID-5 volumes).
- Dynamic disks are not supported in Windows 7/8, Vista and XP Home Edition-based computers.
- All volumes on the same disk must use the same storage type. In other words, there are only basic partitions on a basic disk and dynamic disks are composed of only dynamic volumes.
- You can create simple volumes, spanned volumes and striped volumes in all Windows Operating Systems that support dynamic disks. However, mirrored volumes are only available in Windows 7 and Windows Server. And RAID-5 volumes are able to be created in Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012.
- Before creating dynamic volumes, you need to convert basic disk to dynamic disk first.
How-To guide: create dynamic volumes easily and rapidly
Note: To create a simple volume, it requires a single disk. To a spanned volume, it requires two or more disks. To create mirrored volume, it requires only two disks. To create RAID-5 volume, it requires at least three disks.
Step1: Launch AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, right-click unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks on which you want to create dynamic volume, and click "Create Volume".
An information window will pop up, listing the volume types that your current Operating System supports. Select one of the volume types you want to create. For example, choose "Striped Volume" and click "Next".
Step2: Select the destination disks to create striped volume. According to the feature of striped volume, it requires at least two disks and is evenly distributed across equally-sized of disk space. Therefore, here select disk 2 and disk 3. Then, click "Next".
Step3: Edit volume size. It allows you to adjust the striped volume size by dragging both sides slider of the volume or typing specific number in the "Volume Size" box. At the same time, you can choose a drive letter, file system, cluster size and type a name for the volume in "Volume Label" box. Confirm that the options that you configured are correct, and then click "Finish".
Step4: In a similar way as above, you can create all types of volumes as long as there are enough available unallocated space and disks. Last but not the least, all the changes will not take effect until you click "Commit" -> "Proceed". Besides, you can click "View Pending Operations" to make sure what you did.
Apart from "Create Volume", AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager has lots of basic and advanced features, including resize dynamic disk, extend dynamic system volume, expand/shrink/move volume, increase striped, mirrored, RAID-5 volume size, convert dynamic disk to basic and vice versa, convert GPT disk to basic and vice versa, add drive to RAID, remove drive from RAID and move volume slice, etc. You can free download the demo version of the software and try out all of them.
Tips: Choose the right version according to your requirements
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Home Edition is a Free dynamic disk and dynamic volume management software that allows to be used for home user.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition is especially designed for business users to manage dynamic disk storage type environment for optimal performance in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 both 32 bit and 64 bit.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Server Edition provides award-winning Software RAID management solutions. Besides, it is also a dynamic disk/volume management software and disk converter in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012.
- For Enterprise users, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Unlimited Edition allows unlimited usage within one company. It is a wise and cost-effective choice.
- For IT services providers, we recommend AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Technician Edition.