About dynamic disks
Dynamic disks support over 2000 volumes since it was started to introduce from Windows 2000 onwards, besides the Home Edition, all the Windows operating systems can recognize dynamic disks. It has five types of Dynamic volumes: Simple Volume, Striped Volume, Spanned Volume, Mirrored Volume, and RAID 5 Volume which are possess more advantages and support more flexibility for volume management.
Simple volume and spanned volume
About the simple and spanned volume, we can change the simple volume to spanned volume through extending simple volume, on the contrary, we also can change spanned volume to simple volume through shrinking spanned volume. In this article we talk about how to extend simple volume to spanned volume on dynamic disks.
Newest method to extend simple volume to spanned volume
We suggest you download Dynamic Disk Manager Demo version to follow the next tutorials, not only for the better understanding of operation but also for the necessary analysis before purchasing.
Step 1, We could get the local dynamic disk information in the main window like below after launching AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager:
Step 2, In our case, we want to extend E: (simple volume on Disk 1), there is no unallocated space on every disks. What we can do next? We can shrink one volume which is large enough or delete one unused volume on other disks. Right click the empty I: volume on disk 2 and choose “Delete Volume” option:
After 2nd step, we get the unallocated space on disk 2:
Step 3, This step, we right click E: simple volume and choose “Resize/Move Volume” option to get the new operating Window, drag the right side rightwards and click “OK”:
Step 4, Back to the main window, we can preview the changes in advance. The E: simple volume changed into spanned volume with the unallocated space we just get:
Step 5, The final step is choose “Commit” on the toolbar after confirm the operations in the “View Pending Operations” box. If want to cancel the changes, the bottoms “Redo”, “Undo”, “Discard” on the toolbar can correct the changes. After several minutes and reboot, simple volume to spanned volume expansion finished successfully.
- The simple volume to spanned volume expansion not only can be done on data disk, but also on system disk. (Windows Disk Management limitation)
- Changes preview before apply
- All data protected during the whole process
- Built-in User Manual with real case for reference
Tips: Choose the right version according to your requirements
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Home Edition is free dynamic disk and dynamic volume management software that allows to be used for home user.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition is especially designed for business users to manage dynamic disk storage type environment for optimal performance in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 both 32 bit and 64 bit.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Server Edition provides award-winning Software RAID management solutions. Besides, it is also a dynamic disk/volume management software and disk converter in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012.
- For Enterprise users, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Unlimited Edition allows unlimited usage within one company. It is a wise and cost-effective choice
- For IT services providers, we recommend AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Technician Edition.
- Get the differences through editions comparison.
What we recommend for your convenience before purchase?
So, if you are interested in our product, you will intend to purchase. However, considering your convenience, please take several minutes to make sure what you really want to do:
- If you do not know what you disk type, please right click “My computer” → “ Manage” → “Disk Management” → check the disk type.
- If you do not want to use dynamic disks any longer, you could choose AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager or Dynamic Disk Converter to change dynamic disk to basic disk.
- If you use basic disk, AOMEI Partition Assistant plays the important role in basic disk management.