Server 2008 Disk Management resize dynamic volume
As we all know, there is a great improvement added in Windows Server 2008 Disk Management on disk management like extend and shrink. However, to manage dynamic disks there are some limitations:
- Dynamic system volume can be extended unless there is continuous unallocated space behind it
- Only simple and spanned volume can be resized
- Move volume is not available
Best way to shrink dynamic volume for Windows 2008
The first program AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager came into being and designed for managing dynamic disks directly without any limitation. It was added powerful features so that users can manage dynamic disks with ease. Before follow the steps below, please download Dynamic Disk Manager Server Demo Version to try.
- Launch Dynamic Disk Manager Server, get the local disks information after
- In our case, we introduce the step by step guide on Mirrored Volume Shrinking
task. Right click the mirrored volume on Disk 2 (Disk 2 contains our system
volume) and choose “Shrink Volume” through the pull down menu:
In the pop out new window, drag the right side leftwards or confirm the size by manual input and then click “OK”:
- Back to the main interface, the mirrored volume on Disk 2 and 3 are reduced
together, and the unallocated space released:
About the unallocated space, we could create new dynamic volumes, merge to other dynamic volumes and so on. Please go on reading for the detailed tutorial on create dynamic volumes and extend dynamic system volume.
- The final step is to confirm the changes and click “Commit” on the toolbar. After that, you will find the changes taken place and the volume shrunk successfully.
Tips: Choose the right version according to your requirements
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Home Edition is free dynamic disk and dynamic volume management software that allows to be used for home user.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition is especially designed for business users to manage dynamic disk storage type environment for optimal performance in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 both 32 bit and 64 bit.
- AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Server Edition provides award-winning Software RAID management solutions. Besides, it is also a dynamic disk/volume management software and disk converter in Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012.
- For Enterprise users, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Unlimited Edition allows unlimited usage within one company. It is a wise and cost-effective choice
- For IT services providers, we recommend AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Technician Edition.
- Get the differences through editions comparison.
What we recommend for your convenience before purchase?
So, if you are interested in our product, you will intend to purchase. However, considering your convenience, please take several minutes to make sure what you really want to do:
- If you do not know what you disk type, please right click “My computer” → “ Manage” → “Disk Management” → check the disk type.
- If you do not want to use dynamic disks any longer, you could choose AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager or Dynamic Disk Converter to change dynamic disk to basic disk.
- If you use basic disk, AOMEI Partition Assistant plays the important role in basic disk management.