Dynamic disk review
Dynamic disk and basic disk are two disk types. Both of them support MBR and GPT partition styles. But they are different. Dynamic disk is a physical disk initialized for dynamic storage. It contains simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes (RAID-0), mirrored volumes (RAID-1), and RAID-5 volumes. Because of these different volumes, it provides the features that basic disks do not, like the ability to improve data's efficiency of read-write speed, to create new volumes which span multiple disks, to create fault-tolerant volumes and so on.
Why you need to clone dynamic disk?
If you are using dynamic disk, there must be a large amount of data stored on it. For many reasons, you need to clone the dynamic disk. Such as the following situations:
1. If you find your computer runs slower and slower, you need to consider whether it is your dynamic running out of space. Thus, you may need to replace the dynamic disk with a larger one. But you want to keep the old data on the new large disk. Thus, clone dynamic should be the best way to change hard drive without losing data.
2. If your dynamic disk is too old to perform well, you may consider to change it with a brand-new disk. Thus, copy dynamic disk should be the best way for keeping old data on the hard drive.
3. You can also clone dynamic disk to another disk simply for backing up. Once the dynamic disk broken or other unexpected things lead data loss, you can find the data on the cloned disk, which would minimize the damage of data loss.
In a word, clone dynamic disk has many advantages. And you need to consider to make a copy file of your dynamic disk.
How to clone dynamic disk in Windows 10/8/7?
It is important to clone dynamic disk. After reading the reasons why you need to clone it, you may want to do it right now. However, many users found a problem - cannot clone dynamic disk. Fortunately, here we will solve the problem and help you manage your dynamic disk better.
The actually is that you cannot clone dynamic disk to other disks directly. To clone/copy dynamic disk, here we highly recommend you a dynamic disk manager, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, which can help you clone the dynamic disk successfully.
Convert dynamic disk to basic disk first
The actually is that you cannot clone dynamic disk to other disks directly. To clone/copy dynamic disk, you need to convert dynamic disk to basic disk firstly. Here we highly recommend you a dynamic disk manager - AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, which can help you a lot. And you need another disk cloning software - AOMEI Partition Assistant.
With those two software, you can start to clone dynamic disk as the following hints.
Step 1. First, install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant, It will show you all disks on your PC. And you can see as the following screenshot. Then, clickLaunch Dynamic Disk Manager (which you need to download and install it before or now).
Step 2. When you get into AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, you can right-click the Dynamic disk -> Convert to Basic Disk.
Step 3. Next, it will convert the dynamic disk to basic disk without losing data. Click OK.
Step 4. Finally, click Commit -> Proceed to execute the operation.
* After converting, it will pop-up a window to remind you that to take effect, you must restart your computer.
Copy disk wizard
When you restart your computer, you can see that your dynamic disk has been changed into basic disk. And then, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy dynamic disk to another disk as the steps below:
Step 1. Connect the disk that you want to copy the dynamic disk to your computer. Make sure it can be detected.
Step 2. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. Here you can see all disks on your PC. Click Disk Copy Wizard.
Step 3. When you get into the Disk Copy Wizard, select disk copy type you need here.
Step 4. Select the basic disk (which is the dynamic disk before) as the source disk.
Step 5. Select the new disk as the target disk. Click Next.
* If your target hard drive is an SSD, you can check the option of “Optimize the performance of SSD”, which will improve the SSD’s performance.
Step 6. Finally, click Apply -> Proceed.
As so far, you have already cloned your dynamic disk to another disk. If you still need a dynamic disk, you can convert the basic disk to dynamic disk with the Dynamic Disk Manager.
Convert basic disk to dynamic disk
Launch AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager. Right click the basic disk that you want to convert to dynamic disk. Then, select Convert to Dynamic Disk and follow the hints to convert basic disk to dynamic disk without losing data.
dynamic disk is much harder to manage than basic disk, unless using the AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager. It should be the best dynamic disk manager which allows you to manage your dynamic disk easily such as resize/move volume, shrink volume, delete/format volume, change label, change letter, add drive to RAID and so on. It is worth to have if you are dynamic disk users.