Partition Magic was a software program for hard disk drive partitioning released by PowerQuest but now owned by Symantec. The newest Partition Magic 8 is only compatible with Windows 98/NT/2000/XP (not Vista/7/8 or Server) Operating System.
The following paragraphs list frequently occurred errors you may encounter while using Norton Partition Magic 8.0 and its predecessor.
- Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be identified
Under Windows or OS/2, Partition Magic needs to find the drive letter for each partition at first. There are various reasons why the error 117 pops up. For instance, a driver on your system may change the drive letters from their defaults, or your partitions may not have serial numbers.
- Error 27, Cannot lock drive
Under multitasking Operating Systems such as Windows 95, Partition Magic has to lock a partition before modifications can be safely made. If the hard disk contains files which are used by another process, Partition Magic cannot lock the partition.
- Error 105, Partition starts on wrong boundary
The partition must start on the cylinder boundary. Partition Magic usually works without reformatting a drive. However, this error describes a particular circumstance that requires you to take steps to avoid losing data. Because Partition Magic 8.0 natively supports Windows XP, you are more likely to encounter this error message on Windows 8/7/Vista.
- Error 4, Bad argument/parameter
You have specified an incorrect or non-existent parameter for the executable that you were trying to run. For example, you may have misspelled the name of a switch that you typed at the command prompt. This error can also occur when the partition is seen as a dynamic drive. In Drive Image, a dynamic drive partition is designated as "Other," while Partition Magic will identify it as a Dynamic Disk.
- Error 1516, Partition improperly dismounted
The partition dirty flag is set in a restart record in the journal file. This error may have been caused by a power failure or system crash while the Windows NT operating system was writing the partition.
- Error 1513, Bad attribute position in file record
A file record's first attribute begins after the end of the attribute. This error can also occur in Windows 2000/XP because of a new file record format that has been added to Windows 2000/XP.
Other frequently occurred errors
- Error 732, Attempt to handle too many NTFS attributes (EA3902DC)
- Error 702, Unexpected OS error
- Error 983, Too many errors found, process halted
How to fix the problems with AOMEI Partition Assistant?
Besides the errors above, there are so many errors in Partition Magic. There is no guaranteed solutions that will work for one hundred percent for such problems, but there are many other excellent and reliable third-party partition manager, with which you hardly encounter error messages. Therefore, the best solution is to use other partition software.
As Partition Magic alternative, AOMEI Partition Assistant not only covers all the features in Partition Magic, but also contains more basic and advanced features which Partition Magic doesn't have.
Key features of AOMEI Partition Assistant
- Create, Format, Delete, Hide/Unhide, Merge/Split partitions
- Resize/Move partition to optimize disk space management
- Allocate free space from one partition to another
- Migrate OS to SSD or HDD
- Partition copy enables you to backup or clone partition to a new location
- Assign/Remove drive letters, Mark a partition as active, Change partition volume labels, Convert file system, Check disk bad sectors
- More features…
With its absolutely user-friendly interface and "Pending Operations" option, you can manage your disk partitions easily and safely. The following is a screenshot:
Five editions of AOMEI Partition Assistant
Based on different Windows Operating System and needs, AOMEI Partition Assistant is divided into five editions: Standard Edition (Freeware), Professional Edition, Server Edition, Unlimited Edition and Technician Edition.
- AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition: The Freeware is designed for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7/8.
- AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition: It is required to purchase if you wish to use some more advanced features in Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista.
- AOMEIPartition Assistant Server Edition: The magic Server partition manager specially designed for Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2000.
For enterprise users, AOMEI Partition Assistant Unlimited Edition is a better choice to support the unlimited usage within one company. Also, you can use Technician Edition to provide charged technical services to your clients. You could choose different edition based on your needs. Besides, you can also create partition magic bootable CD, which allows you to manage partitions and disks even when system has failed to load.