When you use windows built-in Disk Management tool to extend a volume, you may encounter this warning: The volume you have selected may not be extended, Please select another volume and try again. This article introduces how to fix this warning.
When you use windows built-in Diskpart.exe command to extend a volume, you may encounter this warning: The volume you have selected may not be extended. Please select another volume and try again. This is the common error message when the two disk management tools fail to extend the partition.
You can only extend the partition while there is contiguous unallocated space behind the partition that needs extending. There are many cases that you will cause DiskPart extend volume failed, which are listed below:
1. The user have more than one hard drives, and the unallocated space and the partition are not on the same hard drive.
2. Unallocated space and the partition to be extended are on the same disk, but they are not contiguous.
3. Unallocated space is at the left of the partition that needs extending.
4. The partition to be extended is not formatted as NTFS. Windows built-in tool DiskPart and Disk Management only supports extending partitions with NTFS file system.
5. The user are running Windows Server 2003. In Windows Server 2003, you need to install Microsoft KB841650 update before you can extend partition successfully.
6. The users are trying to extend volume in Windows 2003 which will not allow you to extend partition when it's running. In this case, you can boot from WINPE to extend the volume offline or use third party partition software.
Do not waste plenty of times for working out the problem by following the complex wizards DiskPart.exe suggest do any longer. There is a popular partition tool named AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition can extend volume windows 2003 as you wish.
Suppose we extend C: system volume, after run the AOMEI Partition Assistant Server, all the volume layouts shows us. If there is no unallocated space behind C: volume, you can release an unallocated space by shrinking D: partition, or you can use Allocate Free Space feature to increase disk space from one drive to another.
Select D:, drag the double-headed arrow to right to reduce D: partition as following do:
Then, you will see an unallocated space between C: and D: partition, also the D: partition has
been shrunk from 160GB to 85.47GB.
Click C:, drag the double-headed arrow to right as well to add the unallocated space to
The volume C: has been extended from 50GB to 124.52GB, and there are two pending
operations marked by blue area. Please refer to the following:
All the pending operations will become effective only after click "Apply" on
the toolbar to process these work. Try now, only several minutes, let you experience its powerful
You have put this into practice, right? You have experience its magic superiority as well? Yeah, the boring message—"The volume you have selected may not be extended" will never appear to let you down under the help of AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
For enterprise users, Partition Assistant Unlimited Edition is a better choice to support the unlimited usage within one company. You can use Technician Edition to provide charged technical services to your clients.