Windows server 2008 has more function in disk management than its previous system. In order to manage data in different disk, to create new partition is necessary. How to create partition in Windows 2008 is of widely concerned. Windows 2008 snap-in disk management can do some of the task, because its new function “Extend Volume” and “Shrink Volume” are specially designed for this event.
To create partition in windows server 2008, we need to “Shrink Volume” first to make unallocated space, which is the source space we create new partition. Run “diskmgmt.msc”, right click the source disk to “Shrink Partition”, and enter the amount of destination space, then click “Shrink”. After shrinking, you can see the unallocated free space, right click it to create new volume
Conditions on create new partition
It seems simple and easy to complete the task, but there are conditions to finish the whole job.
1. Microsoft allows users to create at most primary volumes on MBR disk. If you want to make the fifth volume, you have to convert one primary volume to logic volume. But Windows does not provide the converter.
2. Extend Volume grayed out: the unallocated space is created now, you can make it as a new partition or add it to an exist partition. in most cases, we add it to system drive to optimize it, but sometime you can see the “Extend Volume” grayed out when you right clicking system drive. That is because the unallocated space must right behind the target partition if you want to do extend volume operation.
3. Move partition not available. If you are to create a larger size partition on system drive, you can add the unallocated space to it. However, Windows does not provide this function either.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Lite Edition
Run partition assistant on the desktop, right click the source disk and “Resize Partition”; drag the slide bar on the right to make free space; Click “OK”; and an unallocated space in the list, Right Click it to create partition.
Another method is much simpler, you can reach the goal with one-step. Choose the large size partition, click “Split Partition” on the left guide bar; move the slide bar to create new partition.
Advantages of Partition software- Partition Assistant
- Automatically convert primary volume to basic volume. If you are creating the fifth partition in the disk, PA will set the Flag into logic volume automatically. It will happen to the sixth and seventh partition too.
- Merge partition: no matter where the unallocated space is, you can merge it to other partition to create large size in the same disk.
- Move Partition. This function enables you to move partition to the place you want, which makes merge partition possible and convenient.