To every computer, every partition in disk has different usage, such as partition C is mainly used to install OS or other important application, and other partition could be stored some files. With computer is used, the space of every partition will be different. Some partition left huge space, but others could have a little space to use. The obvious influence of this situation is nothing more than computer’s running speed. As system partition’s space becomes low, the speed of computer running will be slow. It is necessary to solve problem about imbalance in unused space of partitions.
How to solve the imbalance in usage space of partition
When you encounter such situation mentioned above, what would you do. Actually, there are many ways to solve it.
- To buy a external hard disk to store data and files: this way can release partition from overloading of data and files, and you can back up the data and files in partition for security.
- To repartition hard disk: you can format and delete all partition and change it into the unallocated space. then repartition hard disk. In this way, the computer will be clear but the precondition is you have to backup all data and files in hard disk.
- To reallocate space of hard disk: you can reallocate space of every partition, such as move free space between different partition.
Comparing with the methods mentioned above, you will find the first method and the third method are better. However, the first method will cost you lots of money and time. You have to buy a external hard disk and spend clone data and file from computer to external hard disk. So, the third method “move free space between partition” is good choice.
Move free disk space between server partitions
To Windows Server, moving free disk space is not bad way to solve problem about imbalance in unused space of partitions. Windows Server is used by enterprise or associations. Moving free disk space can protect important data and files from leaking or loss. We can move free disk space between Server partitions with two methods---disk management in Windows Server or a third party software.
In disk management in Window Server, as “Extend Volume” only can extend partition to free space besides partition on right. For example, if we want to move free disk space from partition D to partition C, we have to delete the partition D, because we can’t split an unallocated space from partition D to its left side that is partition C’s right side. The only way is to copy all data and files from partition D to external hard disk, and delete partition D. as thus, we move free space between partition C and D. that’s is very stupid way.
Although we can’t make it in disk management, there is third-party software to be used. AOMEI Partition Assistant offers many wizards to move free disk partition. We can operate it without any computer professional knowledge. Comparing with disk management, we can move space in the intuitive environment, but not operate it only by adjust number.
There have some wizards to move free space in AOMEI Partition Assistant:
- Allocate Free Space: we can split free space from one partition to other one by this wizard.
- Split Partition & Merge PartitionS: this wizard’s rationale is similar to “Allocate Free Space”. The difference between them is that the process of moving free space is divided into two steps. We can split free space from one partition by “Split Space” this wizard, and then, you can merge free space to other partition by “Merge Partitions” this wizard.
Move free disk space between Server partitions with AOMEI Partition Assistant.
As mentioned above, we can try any way to allocate free space. Of course, we can find other ways if we are acquainted with this software. Here is step-by-step guide to move free disk space between server partitions by “Allocate Free Space” wizard in AOMEI Partition Assistant.
Step 1: Download, install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition. This edition support Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012 R2 and SBS 2003, 2008, 2011. There are other editions produced by AOMEI technology. Right click the partition that has much free space, and select “Allocate Free Space”.
Step2: As a result of step 1, you will get a pop-up window. Type the size of the free space which you want to cut from partition D and this free space will be directly added into the destination partition. (Take the following screenshot as an example - I will allocate 83.53 GB’s free space from partition D to partition C.)
Step 3: Click Apply to execute this operation.
Don’t you think this steps above are so easy and simple to learn, if you want your system partition to get free space and accelerate the speed of computer running, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant this software.