A brief introduction of Disk Management in Windows Server 2003
Disk Management is a built-in utility in windows Server 2003. It is used to manage hard disks and partitions. With the help of Disk Management, operations such as, create/ delete partition, format volumes, convert basic disks to dynamic disks and change empty dynamic disks back to basic disks as well as set up fault-tolerant disk systems, etc. can all be performed. Besides, those disk-related works can be carried out without restarting server, because most setting modifications are taken into effective just in the blink of an eye.
Three ways to access Windows Server 2003 Disk Management
In order to use Disk Management in Server 2003, knowing how to open it should come first. Three ways are listed below to choose from:
- Click "Start" >"Run". Input "diskmgmt.msc" in the text box and click "OK "button. Then Disk Management window pops up.
- Right click "Computer" icon on the desktop, then click "Manage" >"Disk Management".
- Click "Start" >"Control Panel" > "System and Security" > "Administrative Tools", then double-click the "Computer Management" > "Disk Management".
Main features of Disk Management in Windows Server 2003
The following up are the key functions of Disk Management:
- Create/ delete/ format partitions
- Assign drive letters and mark active partitions.
- View the property of all the disk partitions.
- Conversion between dynamic disk and basic disk
- Set up simple, spanned, striped, mirrored, and RAID-5 volumes
Partition Assistant Server Edition- Disk Management alternative
It seems that Windows 2003 Disk Management can carry out most tasks that related to disks and partitions. What a pity, it is unable to resize partitions. As a matter of fact, only when the C drive is running low space, do most Server 2003 administrators want to use this Disk Management tool. If resizing partition function is not included in Disk Management, however, it seems useless.
As an all-in-all Windows Server partition manager software, Partition Assistant Server Edition can compensate for the vital defect of Disk Management. It allows you to resize partition, move partition, merge two partitions into a bigger one, split one large partition,allocate free spacefrom one partition to another, copy partition to another disk, sector by sector clone hard drive in all editions of Windows Server 2003.
Now, download the free trial version of this 64 bit partition manager – Partition Assistant Server Edition to have a try.
Please click hereto see more explanations that are specific