As is implied by the name, disk copy means to create an exact copy of every single bit on the old hard drive. It enables you to copy anything from the old hard disk, so does the deleted, lost files and inaccessible data. In other words, it can be used to backup, copy, clone, migrate or transfer the old smaller hard drive to a new larger drive.
Benefits of copying disk
In order to prevent data loss due to system failure and program error, AOMEI Technology provides users with easy, safe and fast disk copy feature in Partition Assistant. Disk copy is especially a good choice when you need to replace the old smaller disk with a new larger one without installing the Operating System and applications again.
With the help of disk copy function, you can transfer os to new hard drive and make a data copy 100% identity to original. What's more, when encounter blue screen crash and virus infection, you can still get your deleted or lost files back easily on destination disks with a disk copy operation. Therefore, it is an ideal utility to recover files from a backup disk with data recovery software.
Besides, there are two disk copy methods for you to select as follows:
- Copy disk quickly (also referred to as file-by-file copy) only enables you to copy the used space of the disk to another, and supports to resize/move partition during the copy process.
- Sector-by-sector copy enables you to copy all sectors of the disk to a target disk, no matter whether it is used or not.
With sector-by-sector copy, you can make a same size duplicate of the original disk. If copy a smaller size disk to a new larger one, the larger is exactly the same as the smaller and the remaining space will be made as unallocated space.
Compared with sector-by-sector copy, copy disk quickly method in AOMEI Partition Assistant is much faster because it only copy files. During copy process, you can edit the destination disk with more advanced features, such as extend system partition without rebooting to optimize computer performance and maximize disk usage without data loss.
Tips: Free AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition is only designed for home users to manage partitions on Windows 8/7/XP/Vista/2000 32 bit & 64 bit. If you want to manage partitions on both server and non-server Windows Operating Systems, I advise you to try Partition Assistant Server Edition.
- According to different copy methods, the size of target disk must match with source disk you want to copy. If you select "copy disk quickly", the target disk may not be larger than the source disk but must be equal or larger than the used space on source disk. If you select "sector-by-sector copy", the target disk must be equal or larger than the source disk.
- If there were some data on a target disk, which will be erased after you apply the operation.
- System/Boot disk, dynamic disk, GPT disk and offline disk cannot be selected as a target disk.
- The disk copy software offers an option to restart the computer when you copy the disk which contains the Operating System.
- Deleted, lost files and inaccessible data can be copied to destination disk only by sector-by-sector copy method.
How to copy a disk step by step
Step1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition and right-click a disk you want to copy as the source disk, click "Copy". For example, I'd like to copy disk 2 to another disk.
Step2. Select disk copy method. As mentioned above, there are two methods for your needs to copy disk. According to my needs, I select "copy disk quickly" and click Next to continue.
Step3. Select destination disk. I want to choose disk 3 as the target disk. Because disk 3 contains two partitions (F and H), as a result, after clicking Next, a warning message pop up. You should either click Yes to ensure delete all the partitions on the destination hard disk or click No to choose another destination hard disk once again. If the destination is an empty disk, You will not receive this warning message.
Step4. Edit disk. You can select "edit partitions on this disk" to resize (shrink or enlarge) partitions on the destination disk as you want, and click Next.
Step5. Please pay attention to the Note and then click Finish. Then, In Partition Assistant Main Window, Preview and confirm the changes, then click "Apply" and "Proceed" to start the pending operations.
Regardless of the operating system, file system and partition scheme, you can create an exact 100% identical copy to the original hard disk with disk copy feature in Partition Assistant, which includes the operating system, applications, vital data and deleted or lost files. Now free download Partition Assistant and try!