- What is hardware RAID?
- Common problems on hardware RAID
- Best Windows partition manager resizes RAID partition (Solution)
- Step-by-step example & tutorial on resizing RAID partition (Guide)
What is hardware RAID?
RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is a method of combining multiple disk drives into a single entity to improve the overall performance and reliability for system. The different options for combining the disks are referred to as RAID levels and there are two options Hardware RAID and Software RAID for choosing. This article mainly introduced Hardware RAID and how to resize RAID partition.
Hardware RAID is always a disk controller to which you can cable up the disk drives. Software RAID is a set of kernel modules coupled together with management utilities that implement RAID in Software and require no additional hardware.
Common problems on hardware RAID
Hardware RAID is widely used in Windows Servers because it provides greater performance. Meanwhile, many users also asked problem about RAID partition question like how to resize RAID partition in forums or google answers. That because they want to optimize the usage of Server operating systems or fix Hardware RAID running out of space warning.
Best Windows partition manager resizes RAID partition
So, how to resize RAID partition easily and safely? Considering the easiest & safest method and data security importance, the best choice is choosing reliable 3rd Windows partition manager to achieve the goal. AOMEI Partition Assistant, it is well compatible with all levels of Hardware RAID and provides the most efficiently method to resize RAID partition for Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2000/2003/2008 32 & 64 bit.
Step-by-step example & tutorial on resizing RAID partition
- The following operation are tested on Windows Server 2008, you could download Windows partition manager trial properly for testing according to your operating system.
- 2. The case includes two situations: 1). Add new hard disk to existing hardware RAID and then increase hardware RAID; 2). Resize RAID partition on existing hardware RAID
Insert a new hard disk to the existing hardware RAID and organize the ID using RAID controller. Then you can have some unallocated space on this RAID.
- Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition and get the disk info in main disk map:
- In graphic disk map, drag D: partition right side rightwards:
- Follow the 1) situation, in main disk map, drag the partition as we expected:
- The unallocated space released, we could create new partition by right clicking it:
So, resize RAID partition can be done with this helpful Windows partition manager, besides this, there are many additional features like format, delete or wipe partition and so on.
If multi-servers in one company, choose AOMEI Partition Assistant Unlimited Edition to enjoy the unlimited usage and save money.