“I have a 1TB HDD currently running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essential for some five years. I’d like to replace it with 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD to short the boot up time and equip my Server with better condition at the same time. I have the cloning software, Samsung Data Migration Software (SDM), which comes with the SSD. What are specific steps and the things that I should pay attention to? I have no idea about that. Help, please.”
That is a help post on how to clone hard drive to Samsung SSD using Samsung Data Migration on Windows Server 2012. As a matter of fact, some users also ask how to perform disk cloning with Samsung Data Migration on Server 2008 on forums.
Samsung SSD is one of the most popular HDD replacements among thousands of users due to its high-level configurations and properties. Therefore, when you find current hard drive cannot meet your requirements any more, it is a wise move to replace old hard drive with SSD or a new HDD. Surely, some users like SSD for OS and HDD for storage arranging.
Most Samsung SSDs bring data migration tool in the aim of assisting hard drive replacing. Then, how to use it properly on Server 2012?
Matters you should know about disk cloning on Server 2012
To perform disk cloning with SDM, you need to pay attention to these things.
Clone from large HDD to small SSD. Make sure the target Samsung SSD is large enough to contain all data, at least the used space of the source disk. If not, you may want to delete useless files or uninstall some software on the source disk in Server 2012 in advance.
Clone from small disk to large SSD. Generally, SDM will clone source disk to target disk and keep all partitions unchanged in size. Therefore, chances are that you’ll get some unallocated space after cloning. You can create a new partition with that space in Disk Management or add it to existing partition.
Samsung SSD not detecting issue. Many users complain that their Samsung SSDs will not be detected by Samsung Data Migration or Samsung Magician. You can refer to solutions in this article, Samsung EVO 850 not recognized by Windows, if you happen to have the trouble.
Opened files cannot be cloned. To ensure successful cloning, you need to close all applications and files on the source disk.
After acquiring the information, now you can perform the disk cloning with the help of Samsung Data Migration on Windows Server. Actually, the process is quite simple.
How to clone with Samsung Data Migration on Server 2012?
Note: all data on target Samsung SSD will be deleted and cannot be recovered. So back up important files beforehand.
1. Connect the Samsung SSD to your Server. You can connect it via USB-to-SATA cable or just install it. Install SDM. Once installed, it will run automatically and check for latest version.
2. At the main interface, click Start in the lower-right corner.
3. At the next page, you can verify the Source disk and Samsung SSD. You can select only one partition to clone at this step. Click Start after your confirmation.
4. It will prompt a warning dialogue. Confirm it and click Yes and then the cloning progress will start immediately. Wait for the process completes. Do not disconnect any of the disks during that process.
5. When you see “The data on the Source Disk has been successfully clone to your Samsung SSD”, it means the cloning is successful. You can shut down your Server and replace the original disk with the cloned SSD now.
Tips: above steps apply to cloning HDD to SSD with Samsung Data Migration on Windows Server 2008 as well.
It is simple and easy-to-follow. Nevertheless, the Samsung Data Migration fails you sometimes. For instance, you may find Samsung Data Migration stuck at 99 percent. In a few cases, it reports cloning failed because target disk has been disconnected. But the truth is the target disk being connected and lies still over there. As a result, you need another solution when you get Samsung cloning failed on Windows Server 2012.
Better cloning software for Windows Server 2012/2008
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is reliable software that allows you to clone hard drive to Samsung SSD on Windows Server 2012, 2008, 2003 and 2016. In fact, you can clone hard drive to any brand of SSD with this software, not just Samsung SSD. Hot Clone and SSD optimization is available.
It provides two different methods, intelligent clone and sector-by-sector clone. You have choices to adjust partition size during the cloning settings if you use the first method. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server also provides system migration feature to move only Server OS drive to SSD and keep data drive on HDD. You can clone Server 2012 to target SSD with secure boot. Let’s take a closer look.
1. Install and start AOMEI Partition Assistant Server. Right click the disk you want to clone and select Copy Disk.
2. Select Disk Copy Method. To save time, the first method is recommended. If you want to recover lost or formatted partition at the same time, try the second method. Here will take the first one for example.
3. Select the destination disk (target SSD) at this window. Tick the option Optimize the performance of SSD because the target disk is an SSD.
4. Adjust the partition size. You have three copy options. Choose one of them according to your situation.
5. Here is a note about how to boot up from cloned SSD later. Bear it in mind.
6. Finally, at the main interface, click Apply and then Proceed to execute the pending operations.
7. Shut down your Server when you complete. Replace the original disk with the cloned SSD and start off the machine.
You can create a bootable media and perform disk cloning in WinPE without any interrupting.
You can format the original system disk for other purposes after confirming everything works well with the new SSD. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server allows you to create WinPE bootable media and format system drive without booting Windows.
If you want to clone HDD to SSD using Samsung Data Migration on Windows Server 2012 or 2008, check out what you need to pay attention to and then start cloning. If it fails you owing to known or unknown causes, you can turn to another professional Server cloning tool.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is a good assistant in other aspects as well. It allows you to resize C drive without rebooting OS. It helps you convert system disk from MBR to GPT on Server 2012 without losing data. Why don’t you learn more by yourself?