Want to clone disk in Windows Server 2012 (R2)
Windows Server 2012 clone disk may help you a lot:
> Reactive and restore: disk clone can be used in system restore. Clean up all data on the original hard drive, and then restore the original data to the hard drive. this operation will recover the functions on the computer and root out the existing virus on computer. It is usually used by internet bar, school, or some other organizations to make sure that if users changed the system settings, and brought virus to the computer, you can quickly restore system to “clean” state by re-activation.
> prepare for new computer’s installation: you can clone disk with some disk cloning software and install a standard set software to computer so that new users can applying it instantly without waiting installation.
> Upgrade hard drive: for many reasons, you may want to upgrade your hard drive to a larger or new HDD/SSD. When you bought a new hard drive, you can clone old hard drive to the new hard drive instead of re-installing OS to that new hard drive.
Considering with many aspects, you may want to clone disk in Windows Server 2012 (R2).
The best Server cloning software AOMEI Partition Assistant Server
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server should be the best Server cloning software. It has a great function Disk Copy/Disk Copy Wizard, which can help you clone disk to disk in Windows Server 2003/2008(R2)/2012(R2)/2016 with in few steps. Besides, it allows you to clone GPT disk to MBR disk, or clone MBR disk to GPT disk; if you want to clone an HDD to SSD, it provides you a function to align the SSD for optimizing its performance. With this software, Windows Server 2012 clone disk would be a very easy thing. Well, how to clone disk in Windows Server 2012 (R2) with AOMEI Partition Assistant Server?
cloning disk in Windows Server 2012 (R2) with AOMEI Partition Assistant Server
As it mentioned above, the Server cloning software AOMEI Partition Assistant Server can make things easier. Here you can follow the next contents to learn how to use it for Windows Server 2012 clone disk.
Things to know and prepare
Before you do, here are some things you need to prepare:
1. A new hard drive for storing data. You need to prepare an HDD or an SSD to clone Windows Server 2012 disk to. Connect it to your Server computer and make sure it can be detected.
2. Confirm what partition type your hard drive is, and make sure your Windows OS is 32bit or 64bit. Windows Server 2012 (R2) 32bit can only boot from MBR disk. If you are planing to clone MBR to GPT disk, it may be unable to boot after being cloned to destination disk. For this situation, you need to upgrade your system to 64 bit or convert GPT to MBR in Server 2012. However, you can directly clone MBR disk to GPT with Windows Server 2012 (R2) as only as the motherboard supports EFI/UEFI. Otherwise, your system will be unable to boot next time.
3. If you want to clone a GPT hard drive to an MBR disk, the AOMEI Partition Assistant would change the fourth primary partition and later partitions into logical partition while cloning if there are more than 4 primary partitions on the GPT disk.
4. Install this Server cloning software to your Windows Server 2012.
Detailed steps of Windows Server 2012 clone disk
After those preparation, you can start to clone disk in Windows Server 2012.
Step1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server, it will show you its main interface contains the basic situations of your hard drive(s). To do Windows Server 2012 clone disk, here you should right click the source hard drive, click Copy Disk.
Step2. It will pop up a second window which provides you two cloning method, Copy Disk Quickly and Sector-by-Sector Copy. Here we choose Copy Disk Quickly.
* The Copy Disk Quickly will take less time and only clone the used space on the source disk, if your target hard drive is smaller than the source disk but it is enough to store the data on the source disk, you can take this way to clone disk.
* The Sector-by-Sector Copy will take a lot of time and it requires the target disk at least as large as the source disk. It will clone every byte on the source hard drive. If you are cloning GPT disk to MBR disk, this method will convert MBR to GPT before cloning.
Step3. Here you need to select the target disk, here is disk 2. if the disk is an SSD, you should check the box before “Optimize the performance of SSD”.
Step4. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server also allows you to resize partition size on the destination disk (Sector-by-Sector Copy can’t do this job).
Step5. Here is a note for how to boot from the cloned hard drive. Read it and click Finish.
Step6. Here you will back to the main interface, click Apply to launch the whole process.
Windows Server 2012 clone disk with AOMEI Partition Assistant Server seems much easier. Besides cloning, it has many other functions that can help you manage your hard drive(s) in Windows Server better, such as resize partition, Migrate OS to SSD delete partition, merge partitions, wipe hard drive, etc. It should be the best Server cloning software and disk manager for Windows Server 2003/2008 (R2)/2012 (R2)/2016.