About Partition Resizing on Windows Server 2016
To resize a partition for Windows Server 2016 is to extend or shrink a partition for it. When installing the Windows Server 2016 operating system for the computer, you might have partitioned your hard disk. While using your computer, suddenly you found the C: drive or other drives’ space is too small after installing some programs and creating files on it. You may also want to create a new partition for special use. Therefore, you want to resize partition. You may think resize partition is only for professionals. Actually, you can resize partition in a few steps without data loss.
Resize Partition with Windows 2016 Disk Management
Disk Management is a Windows Server 2016 built-in utility designed to manage your hard disks and the partitions or volumes. You need to log in as an administrator to be able to resize partition or volume. You can shrink a partition or volume, and use the new created unallocated disk space to extend partition or create a new partition.
1. Launch Disk Management by clicking Server Manager>Storage>Disk Management
2. Right-click the partition you want to shrink, and click Shrink Volume.
3. On this screen, you need to enter the amount to shrink as the instruction statement.
4. Extend a partition. In Disk Management, right-click the partition you want to extend, and click Extend Volume.
5. In the extend dialog, enter the amount size that you want to extend, and click Next to process.
Using Windows Server 2016 resize partition tool, Disk Management, has some restrictions. You can only shrink a partition or volume up to half of its free space, and you can only extend a partition having contiguous unallocated space to the right of it. Disk management cannot extend a basic partition using an unallocated space to its left. Fortunately, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant to lift the restrictions.
Resize Server 2016 Partition with AOMEI Partition Assistant
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is powerful third party software for Windows Server that allows you to extend partition for Server 2016 as long as there is unallocated space on the same hard disk. With its concise interface, you can easily resize or move partitions without needing anyone’s help.
1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server, right click the partition you want to shrink and click Resize Partition.
2. In this screen, you can drag the slider bar on both sides to make unallocated space. You can also enter the specific amount you want to shrink. Then click OK to continue. If you just want shrink a partition, you can click Apply to process and forget the rest.
3. Now you have unallocated space, so you can extend any partition on this hard disk. Right-click the partition you want to extend and select Resize Partition.
4. In the Move and Resize Partition dialog, drag the slider bar rightwards to extend the partition. You can also enter the specific amount you want to extend. Then click OK to continue.
5. You can see how it looks like after the process. If all is well set, click the Apply to start the process.
Besides that, AOMEI Partition Assistant Server has many other useful features, such
as Migrate OS to SSD, Disk Copy, Windows to Go Creator, Make Bootable CD, and
more. It can not only support Windows Server 2016, but also almost Windows OS, like
Windows Server 2003, 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2) and Windows PC system. If you want to
resize partition in Windows Server 2016 for free, you can use its free version,
AOMEI Partition Assistant Lite, which also provides the ability to move and resize a
partition without data loss.