Why need to perform Samsung Data Migration OS only?
Samsung Data Migration (SDM) is a data migration tool that comes with Samsung SSDs like Samsung 850 EVO. It helps users migrate operating system and data from existing storage device to the new Samsung SSD without reinstalling. Then, why would someone want to clone OS only?
There are two common factors account for the phenomenon. One is the purchased Samsung SSD is not large enough to accommodate all data on the old hard drive. Surely, shrinking partition, deleting files and uninstalling programs are helpful in cloning larger drive to smaller drive. However, move OS only is more directly.
The other is the older hard drive is good enough to be a secondary storage. The SSD for OS & HDD for storage arrangement usually happens in desktops or laptops that have two available disk bays. The combination makes full use of HDD’s and SSD’s advantages. Performance improved and storage saved, why not?
How to use Samsung Data Migration clone OS only?
Here comes the brief guide of cloning C drive only to Samsung SSD. Connect or install the Samsung SSD and make sure it can be detected by Samsung Data Migration. If not, you may want to turn to Samsung SSD not detected in Windows 10 for more tips.
1. Install and launch Samsung Data Migration. Click Start in the lower-right corner to continue.
2. You’ll see the source disk, i.e. the existing disk which contains the operating system and the Samsung SSD. Pitch on C drive only. You’ll see only C drive on the Samsung SSD in virtual states. Click Start again to continue.
3. A warning dialogue will pop out saying all data on the new Samsung SSD will be lost. Confirm the risk and click Yes to start the process. Wait for the process completes.
4. When you see “The data on the Source Disk has been successfully cloned to your Samsung SSD” in green font, the process completes perfectly. Shut down the PC and boot from the cloned Samsung SSD.
Tips: do not disconnect any of the disks during cloning process. Make sure the power supply is sufficient for cloning.
It is quite simple and fast to perform Samsung Data Migration with boot drive only, if everything works fine. In most cases, the process will complete as expected. Nevertheless, some users report the cloning failed. It reports the target disk has been disconnected and which is not true. In a few cases, you’ll get Samsung Data Migration stuck at 99 percent, 0 percent or 100 percent. All in all, finding a reliable workaround is necessary if you happen to facing one of those troubles.
Easier way to migrate OS to Samsung SSD in Windows 10/8/7
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is free OS migration software which allows you to migrate just OS drive to Samsung SSD. It will automatically align partition for SSD during the system migration when it detects an SSD. The system drive and system-related drives are selected by default which avoids the boot failure caused by incomplete cloning. Supports Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista. Free download to have a try.
1. Connect or install the Samsung SSD. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant.
2. Click on Migrate OS to SSD in the left Wizards pane and read the preface information.
3. As covered, the source system drive(s) is selected by default. Select the unallocated space on the Samsung SSD to store OS. If there is no unallocated space, selected partitions will be deleted after you check the option on the beneath.
4. Resize the system drive on Samsung SSD if you want to.
5. Take a mental note on this information.
6. View the virtual result. Click Apply and then Proceed to start migration.
7. Shut down your PC after completion. You can either change boot order in BIOS or replace old hard drive with cloned SSD for test.
Besides Samsung SSDs, AOMEI Partition Assistant also works its magic on other SSD brands such as PNY SSDs, Crucial SSDs, WD SSDs, Kingston SSDs, OCZ SSDs, etc.
To migration system on/to GPT disk, please upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional edition.
It is not uncommon to do Samsung Data Migration with OS only to Samsung SSDs. The SDM provides simple solution for its users. However, preparing a plan B is not a bad choice if that does not work.
AOMEI Partition Assistant also can assist you change partition size flexibly and without formatting or deleting. For instance, you can extend partition to non-contiguous space without data loss.