With many outstanding advantages such as less power usage, less noise, fast speed, reliability. SSD has been popular among computer users. Recently, some users are confused whether SSD need to be maintained in the same way as HDD or not, on top of that, some of users are looking for methods to optimize SSD. In this article, we will show you how to optimize your SSD in Windows OS like in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
How to Optimize SSD?
Forbid Scheduled Disk Defragmentation
Defragmentation is very useful for spinning hard drive that has moving parts because it will gather the file that spreads to different sectors together to decrease the head moving. With the help, the read time can be decreased. However, SSD has no moving parts and it doesn’t care whether the file is fragmented or not. Furthermore, SSD defragment can shorten the lifespan of SSD since it has limitation on reading and writing.
1. Select My Computer, right click on SSD then choose Properties.
2. In the pop-window, click Defragment now, then you will enter Disk Defragmenter.
3. In Disk Defragmenter, if the function of scheduled defragmentation is available, click on the button of Configure Schedule, and then make sure you have unchecked scheduled defragmentation.
Make Sure TRIM Support is Enabled
TRIM (learn what is SSD trim) command makes sending information to SSD that which data block is unnecessary so that it can be wiped internally. After that, you can store new data there.
1. You should run as administrator and then open Command Prompt. Then click on Start > choose All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
2. Input the following information and type enter.
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 : TRIM is enabled in Windows.
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 : TRIM is not enabled.
3. To allow you to enable SSD TRIM in Windows, type the following in command prompt
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0
Disk indexing is used to reduce the time to access files on hard disk drive. It can improve your work efficiency if you want to find something from a lot of data, but it has negative effect on drive’s performance. If you want to get most from SSD, disable indexing is worth considering.
1. Click My Computer, right-click on the SSD, choose Properties.
2. At the bottom of General tab, uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
Align Partition with Disk Manager
AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is a reliable SSD optimization software that can help you create primary partition align 1024 size to optimize SSD. If you do not align your SSD, the number of unnecessary writing operations will increase,which may shorten the life span of SSD.
Step1. Right click the partition which you want to align and select "Advanced" -> "Partition Alignment".
Step2. In the pop-up window, you can chose the sector of partition to align.
Step3. Then click "Apply" to execute partition alignment and you finish this operation.
With this easy-to-follow SSD optimization guide, you can live with better SSD performance. By the way, SSD RAID array helps improve SSD’s reliability. Besides, this software can help you resize partition, move partition, merge partition, make bootable CD, allocate free space, and more. Its powerful feature can demand your other needs for partition. Free up disk space on SSD and increase SSD Read & Write lifespan actually could be counted as one acceptable way to optimize SSD. The better you maintain your SSD, the longer you will possess it. There are many ways for you to optimize your SSD. However, if you choose AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, it means you can manage your partition safely at the same time. It is best of both worlds for you.