FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 10
“I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Suddenly, I am unable to boot my computer and seeing the BSOD (blue screen of death) with stop code FAT_File_System. I don’t want to experience the trouble of reinstalling Windows operating. Is there anyone can help me to tackle with this issue?”
Why FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error happens?
It’s not rare to encounter FAT_File_System error, especially after upgrading to Windows 10 or installing new hardware. In fact, there are various elements that can cause FAT_FILE_SYSTEM blue screen of death errors, thus it is hard to figure out the right reason immediately and accurately. Here are certain reasons listed below:
Outdated device driver
Corrupted Windows system files
Corrupted file system
Virus or malware infection
Damaged hard drive (error code 0x00000023)
How to fix FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 10/8/7?
Since you have realized the possible reasons for FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error, it is time to refer to the effective ways that will be demonstrated in the following text.
Solution 1. Removal all additional external hardware
Actually, external hard drive might be the reason of the error aforementioned. In such case, you can remove all external hard drive including printers, keyboard, and mouse etc. Then, reboot your computer to see whether the error disappears.
Solution 2. Update device drivers
This way is suitable when FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error is caused by outdated or invalid device drivers and you are boot computer in Safe. The detailed steps are listed as follows:
1. Press Windows + R at the same time, type "devmgmt.msc" and hit Enter key to open Device Manager.
2. In Device Manager window, find out the device that you need to update drives, right click it and choose “Update Driver Software”.
3. In the pop-up window, choose one between “Search automatically for updated driver software” and “Browse my computer for driver software” based on specific situation.
Solution 3. Run System File Checker
It is possible that the error is the result of corrupted Windows system files. If so, you can run SFC to scan and fix Windows system files. Have a look at how it works:
1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator
2. In the Command Prompt window, type “sfc/scannow” and press “Enter” key.
3. Restart your computer after scanning.
Solution 4. Run CHKDSK utility
When the FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error is related to hard drive errors, you can run CHKDSK to fix your hard drive and the detailed steps are listed as follows:
1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Type the following commands and hit Enter after every command.
chkdsk C: /f
chkdsk C: /r
PS.:“C” can be replaced with the drive letter of the partition that you installed operating system.
For solution 3 and solution 4, if you can’t restart computer in safe mode, you can insert a Windows Installation disc, restart computer from it and go to Repair your computer Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt to carry out solution 3 or solution 4.
Solution 5. Check bad sectors for your hard drive
FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error, with error code 0x00000024 might be caused by damaged hard drive. In such condition, you can check bad sectors for your hard drive. Here you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant, which can help you to create a bootable media, boot your unbootable computer from it and check hard drive. Detailed steps are listed as follows:
Phase 1: Make bootable USB drive
1. Connect a USB drive to a working computer running Windows; download, install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant.
2. Use AOMEI Partition Assistant to create a bootable media.
Phase 2: Boot the unbootable computer from the USB drive
1. Connect the bootable USB drive created by AOMEI Partition Assistant to the unbootable computer.
2. Rebooting computer and press certain key to enter BIOS to boot the computer from the bootable USB drive.
Phase 3: Check bad sectors
1. You’ll in the main interface from AOMEI Partition Assistant. Right click the hard drive you’ll check and select “Surface Test”.
PS.: You can also skip Phase 1 and Phase 2 by removing the hard drive from the unbootable computer and connecting it to a working PC with AOMEI Partition Assistant installed.
2. Check Quick Check and click on “Start” icon. If there is bad sector on the hard drive, it might be as red box.
FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 10/8/7 can be the result of one or more problem. Thus, you don’t need to try every solutions mentioned above and you can figure out the possible reason causing this error and take measures correspondingly.
In fact, apart from the function described above, AOMEI Partition Assistant enjoys many functions like extend partition without data loss, copy hard drive to SSD without reinstalling and so on.