Why would you want to partition external hard drive?
It is a good strategy to attach an external hard drive as a backup drive or to store non-system files in the event of system disk running out of space. A brand new external hard drive needs initializing and partitioning before you can use it, which means to divide your external hard disk into separately sections for different usage by partitioning it. Surely, you can also choose to partition it as one partition. To partition windows 10 external hard drive, you can either use its built-in utility Disk Management or free partition manager software.
Partition external hard drive with built-in utility
Windows 10 has its partition tool Disk Management. If your external hard drive hasn’t been partitioned, you can partition hard drive windows 10 with Disk Management. The steps to partition external drive with Disk Management are listed as below:
1. Type “diskmgmt.msc” in the search box and press Enter.
2. Right-click the unallocated space and select New Simple Volume. Click Next.
3. Enter the "Simple volume size in MB" and the click Next.
4. Select a drive letter and partition label. Click Next.
5. Select file system for this partition. If you only use this drive for Windows operating system (OS), choose NTFS (which has better performance, but only works with Windows). Otherwise, choose ExFat. Do not change the Allocation unit size, which is important. Click Next.
6. Review the settings and click Finish.
This is how Disk Management handles with partitioning external hard drive. If you need something simpler and easier to understand, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant.
Easier way to partition external hard drive
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is a free partition tool for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, with which you can partition external hard drive effortlessly even if seeing it for the first time. Let’s how it works:
1. Download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard and launch it.
2. Right-click the unallocated area and select Create Partition.
3. In the next screen, drag the slider from both sides to specify the size and location of the new partition. Then click OK. Unlike Disk Management, the program hasn’t done anything to your external hard drive until now, but shows you how it looks like after the operation.
4. Click Apply to run the process.
If your external hard drive has been partitioned, you can also use this method to create new partitions or use Resize Partition to repartition the hard drive. Besides being able to partition Windows 10 external hard drive, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard provides many useful features for managing your hard drives, such as Covert to GPT disk without data loss (system disk conversion between GPT and MBR only available in paid versions), Migrate OS to SSD rather than fresh install Windows 10 on SSD drive, and Windows to Go Creator.