Hard drive and hard drive clone
A hard drive or said hard disk is one of the main storage mediums in the computer that made of aluminium or vitreous discs. According to the working principle, hard drive can be divided into HDD (Hard Disk Drive), SSD (Solid State Drive), HHD (Hybrid Hard Disk). Among them, SSD is commonly used for system and HDD is commonly used for data nowadays.
To clone a hard drive in Windows 7 means to copy all data completely from one hard disk to another through software or hardware. Generally, if you use software, it will write the contents of the whole hard drive into a backup file in case of the restoration next time.
Windows 7 hard drive clone usages
Some people don’t know why to clone Windows 7 hard drive. Thus, some reasons are listed below:
- Reactivation and Restoration: hard drive clone can be used in the process of system recovery. It will clear original contents and restore system with the image file. At the same time, it may eliminate the computer virus which remain in the hard disk.
- Prepare for the installations on a new computer: you can install a software and use it immediately on a new computer. Besides, if you want to upgrade the hard drive, after buying a new one, you can avoid installing again by cloning.
- Full backup: You can do a full back up of OS and installed software in your computer. It may save a lot of time in system recovery in the future.
Clone hard drive in Windows 7 with free AOMEI Partition Assistant
Here’s an easy way to clone hard drive with freeware - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition. It supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista and XP.
Install and launch it. (Please make sure that there’s an unallocated space on the destination hard disk or SSD. And it should be equal to or larger than the source disk or the used space on the source disk.)
Step1: Right click the hard disk (here is Disk 1) you want to clone and select "Copy Disk".
Step2: Please read the difference between two methods in the pop-up window. Here we choose the default one.
Step3: Select the destination disk. You can tick "Optimize the performance of SSD" to improve the reading and writing speed of SSD. (If there are partitions on the destination disk, they will be deleted. You can make a backup of data with free AOMEI Backupper if they are important.)
Step4: It allows you to adjust the partition size on the destination disk if you choose "Copy Disk Quickly". Choose the one you need. (here we don’t make any change.)
Step5: After disk edit, click "Apply" to start cloning hard drive.
- If the hard drive which you want to clone contains system boot partition, the operation will be completed under PreOS Mode.
- Lost files can only be copied through "Sector-by-Sector Copy".