Why need to use “Shrink Volume”
Many people want to separate their hard drive into different parts in order to better organize their all kinds of files. In this case, you need to shrink volume to create more partitions on the hard drive. That is why Microsoft provides the “shrink volume” function in Disk Management, so you can shrink volume in Windows 7. Many users can use this function to shrink a partition to create more partitions. If you want to use the unallocated space by shrinking the existing partition, it is not possible with Disk Management, because it can only shrink a volume from the right side of the volume. That is, you can only add the unallocated space to the partition that has been shrunk, which is unreasonable. If you want to create a new partition by shrink volume, use Disk Management. However, if you want to use the unallocated space to extend other partition, use third party partition manager software.
Shrink volume with Windows 7 Disk Management
Disk Management is the Windows built in utility that you can use to manage your disks and partitions. To access Disk Management, you can right click the Start button and select Disk Management in Windows 7/10. In Windows 8/8.1, you can type”diskmgmt.msc” in the Run or search box and press Enter.
To shrink Windows partition:
1. Within the Disk Management interface, right click the volume that needs shrinking, and select “Shrink Volume”.
2. After querying volume for available shrink space, it will pops out a dialog box. Enter the amount of space that you want to shrink in MB and then click “Shrink”.
3. You can see the new created unallocated space next to the volume shrunk. Then you can right click on the unallocated space to create a New Simple Volume.
Under some circumstances, the available shrink space is much less than what you requires, or the shrink volume fails with not enough space. In these cases, you try an easier way to fix this by using partition software AOMEI Partition Assistant to resize partition in Windows 7.
Shrink Windows 7 partition with freeware
As a freeware, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard not only allows you to shrink partition in Windows 7 without losing data, but can shrink partition from both sides. What’s more, the available shrink space is only determined by the free space, regardless of where the unmovable files locate. Therefore, you can easily use the unallocated space through shrinking partition to extend another partition.
Shrink Partition with AOMEI Partition Assistant:
1. Download and run this free software.
2. In the intuitive interface, right click the partition that you want to shrink and select "Resize Partition" option.
3. In the next screen, you can drag from either sides of the partition to shrink partition. You can also enter specific amount of shrink space. Then, click "OK" button to continue.
4. Then you can preview the partition layout after the shrink. If it meets your needs, click "Apply” to apply all operations.
Apart from shrink volume in Windows 7/8/10, with AOMEI Partition Assistant, you can extend partition, merge partitions, copy disk, and convert MBR to GPT without data loss. Moreover, integrated safety solutions offer the biggest safeguard for disk management. Next, let's see how powerful this partition magic is through demonstrating how to shrink partition in Windows 7 with it.