Why need to format Windows 8 hard drive partition?
Why do you need to format your disk partition in Windows 8? The following are some important reasons:
- When your old hard drive is in low disk space and you prepared a new hard drive for your Windows 8, then how do you deal with the old one? Because of the original personal information or data that you don't want to be hold by others, maybe you will choose to format it.
- When your Windows 8 disk partition has been ruined by nasty viruses or contained some bad sectors, you would like to erase them from your computer disk partition.
- Maybe NTFS file system is prior to FAT32, but it can't be recognized by many devices, such as Xbox 360, PS3, etc. only you format hard drive partition from NTFS to FAT32, these system programs can work with your Windows 8.
Note: Windows 8 format hard drive will cause all information and data loss in that hard drive or partition. Please backup files you care most before formatting.
How to format hard drive in Windows 8 with Disk Management?
- Open Windows 8 Disk Management by pressing "Windows + R" and typing "diskmgmt.msc".
- Right click on the hard drive partition (here's D) and select "Format…" in the drop-down menu.
- In the pop-up window, you can type a partition label, choose NTFS or FAT32 file system and change cluster size.
You can format all partitions except for system partition of Windows 8 on the hard drive by repeating above steps. Windows does not allow user to format system drive under Windows environment. Except for Windows 8 Disk Management, you can also use DiskPart to format hard drive.
Format hard drive in Windows 8 via Command Prompt
1. Press “Windows + R” key combo and type “diskpart”.
2. Type following commands and press Enter after each input:
select volume x (x is the partition you want to format)
format fs=ntfs quick label=test (you can change “test” to any label)
You can find this new formatted partition in Windows Explorer. Nevertheless, as covered before, Windows won’t allow you to format system drive when it is running. What if you need to format Windows 8 system drive for other purposes? What’s more, with Windows 8 Disk Management and DiskPart, only the size of a partition is equal to or smaller than 32GB can be formatted from NTFS to FAT32. Then, how do you format the size of a hard drive partition is larger than 32GB? Well, you can turn to powerful third party hard drive format tool in that case.
Format Windows 8 partition with free partition manager
As an advanced magic partition software, AOMEI Partition Assistant can format any size of hard disk partition to FAT32 easily in Windows 8. You can create a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD using this software, and format system partition in Windows PE mode. Apart from formatting hard drive, AOMEI Partition Assistant also brings many other features, such as resize/move partition, merge partitions, allocate free space, clone disk, copy partition, dynamic disk management and so on. First free download and install a complete version of this partition manager.
Tips: AOMEI Partition Assistant is also fully compatible with Windows 8.1, and the steps of formatting hard drive in Windows 8.1 are the same as those to format hard drive in Windows 8.
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition. Right click the partition you want to format and select "Format Partition".
Step 2. You can enter partition label, choose NTFS or FAT32 file system and change cluster size in the pop-up window.
Step 3. After preview the changes in the main interface, click "Apply" and then "Proceed" to commit the operation.
All above, it is quite easy and quick to format a disk partition in Windows 8 with AOMEI Partition Assistant. In addition, you can experience many other useful features of this hard drive partition management software. For advanced operations such as allocate free space, SSD secure erase, etc. please upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional.