“I have a HP laptop and unfortunately I cannot start it up normally. It shows “BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND” (3F0) and I don’t know why and what it is. I have no idea about this error and I think I need a help what should I do when boot device not found HP laptop?”
Actually, “boot device not found” error is a common error that many users have met. It always occurs during the process of booting computer. It may occur with different error messages, such as:
“No boot device - insert boot disk and press any key.”
“Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operating system in your hard disk.”
“No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.”
“No boot device is available.”
Once you get those error messages, you cannot boot your operating system successfully. Well, what if you got “boot device not found” error when you boot your computer? Fortunately, this post will offer you why it happens and how to solve it in Windows 10/8/7.
Why boot device not found in HP?
Like the Scenario said, the boot device not found in HP laptop. Why would that happen?
The boot device not found or no boot device is detected mean the OS can’t find the bootable hard disk or the boot sector of the hard drive. To fix this error, you need to know what may cause it. And here we conclude 4 reasons like the following list:
1. The hard drive you boot from is an unbootable disk or device.
2. The bootable hard drive is corrupted or died somehow.
3. MBR or boot sector is damaged on the bootable hard drive.
4. Virus attack.
How to fix boot device not found issue in HP?
Knowing the causes to boot device not found in HP, you can take specific measures to fix it.
Method 1. Change boot order
First, you need to make sure that the hard drive you boot from is the right disk. If you set to boot from an unbootable device by mistake, it cannot boot successfully from the unbootable device and will give you the error message: “Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operation system to your hard disk”. change the boot order in BIOS and let it boot from the bootable device. if it is the boot device, and you got this error, you can do as the following methods.
Method 2. Perform a hard reset
When you meet the problem that no boot device is detected, you can try to perform a hard reset. A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer memory and might restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware. To perform a hard reset, you should do as following steps:
1. Turn off the computer. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
2. Disconnect all external devices from your computer, unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
3. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
4. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
5. Insert the battery, and plug the AC adapter back into the computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, printers, etc.
6. Turn on the computer. If a start menu opens, select Start Windows Normally with arrow keys and press Enter.
If reset hard drive haven’t solve your problem, you can move to the next Method.
Method 3. Restore BIOS default settings
To restore the BIOS default settings may fix the error “boot device not found” in HP. You can do as the following steps:
1. Turn off the computer and wait at least five seconds.
2. Restart the computer and repeatedly press F10 key to enter BIOS setup menu.
3. On the BIOS setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5. Select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6. Follow the prompt to restart computer.
If the computer restart normally, you are done. If it still pops up the error message “boot device not found”, proceed to the next method.
Method 4. Test hard drive
If the method above cannot solve your problem, you should consider to check your hard drive. To test a hard drive, here we highly recommend you AOMEI Partition Assistant, which can help you to check partition and fix errors, or check disk totally.
Here you should connect your boot drive to another Windows PC which installed AOMEI Partition Assistant. Or your can create a bootable USB with AOMEI Partition Assistant to boot your computer successfully.
1. Get into AOMEI Partition Assistant program, select your boot hard drive. Here you can right click the boot partition, select Check Partition.
It will pop up a window that you can choose the way to check partition and fix errors.
2. Or you can right click the boot hard drive, select Surface Test.
It will run the test after you click Start.
Finally, if there is any problem on your hard drive, fix it and the boot device not found HP problem may solved.
Method 5. Rebuild MBR
AOMEI Partition Assistant also allows you to fix MBR. To fix MBR, here you need to right click the hard drive, select Rebuild MBR.
In the pop up window, set the type of MBR for the current OS, click OK to start rebuilding MBR.
In a word, AOMEI Partition Assistant is a great disk manager that can help you check hard drive and fix errors, and help you to manage your hard drive better. It is worth to have. Its free edition supports you the most basic features, if you need more advanced features, you can upgrade to its Professional edition to solve more problems.
There are 5 different methods for solving boot device not found in HP Windows 10/8/7. but there are many other ways can solve the problem. For example, if the boot device not found in HP is cause by virus attack, then you need to remove the virus with some anti-virus software. If you have other ways, please share that in the comment place.