The benefits of partitioning external hard drive
Nowadays, external hard drive such as hard disk drive or SSD, is the popular extended storage media in our life. For its large capacity, permanent storage, easy to carry and other features, they are widely used to store important data and files, system backup images. For manage your data better, you can partition your external hard drive first. There are many benefits of partitioning external hard drive.
1. If you use a brand new external hard drive on a computer, its drive letter will not appear on the computer when you connect it to your computer. At first, you must initialize disk before the logical disk manager can access it. And then partition the external hard drive in your need. After you create partition on external hard drive, you can put different kinds of data into different partitions. In addition, searching by partition when finding data and files can be more efficient than searching the entire external hard drive. In the way of partition external hard drive, it is more convenience for you to manage your different kinds of data.
2. Partition external hard drive can easily satisfy your specific requirements. In order to ensure the security of data, you may want to encrypt the data. As you know, encryption will slow down the performance of your computer. If you just encrypt a certain partition, the other parts of your system will run unencrypted. So it can help your computer run faster.
How to partition external hard drive without losing data?
To partition external hard drive, there are two methods for you. You can use Windows’ own disk management or use a third party disk partition tool to do this operation without data loss.
Method 1.Partition external hard drive with Windows built-in Disk Management
If you do not want to download any other partition tools, you can use Windows’ own partition tool to partition the external hard drive. The current built-in tools can solve basic partition operation such as create, delete, format and resize partitions. First of all, connect the external hard drive to your computer, let’s take a look at how to partition external hard drive with Windows built-in disk management:
If you buy a new unpartitioned external hard drive, you need to initialize it first:
1. Right-click “This PC” on your desktop, choose “Manage” on the pop-up window.
2. Select “Disk Management”, there will a pop-up window for you to initialize disk, select disk and choose a partition style you want, then click “OK”.
Thus, you can use Windows Disk Management to partition the external hard drive. Here take an example of creating partition.
3. Right-click your external hard drive, select “New Simple Volume”
4. Follow the wizard, finish the size, file system, drive letter step by step. After that, click “Finish”.
If you think the partition on the external hard drive is unreasonable and just want to repartition the external hard drive,you can use Windows Disk Management to extend partition or shrink partition, delete or create partition.
Back up the data on it at first to avoid data loss. Then, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click “This PC” on your desktop, then choose “Manage”. If you need to extend partition, you can right-click the partition and select extend volume.
2. If you need to shrink volume, right click the partition and select shrink volume.
Fortunately, you can do this with a third-party disk partition tool. Here I highly recommend AOEMI Partition Assistant - a free partition software which provides you many functions to partition external hard drive like create/move/shrink/extend/format/delete partition.
Method 2.Partition external hard drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant
Use AOMEI Partition Assistant to partition external hard drive is very convenient and effective. Connect the external hard drive to your computer at first, then the step by step guides of partition external hard drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant are as follows:
Step 1. Download, install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant. Your partition information will be displayed on the main interface. Right-click an existing partition or unallocated space on the external hard drive, select “Create Partition”.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, there is a slider bar in the middle of the select partition. You can drag it right or left to adjust the sizes of the partition. You can also directly modify the size of the new partition. And you can click “Advanced” to get more options. Click “OK” to continue.
Step 3. Then it will back to the main console, and you can preview the partition. Click “Apply” on the toolbar to commit the operation.
If you just want to shrink or extend your external hard drive, AOEMI Partition Assistant also can be the best disk partition tool for you. Shrink/extend partition is a lossless data operation, in just a few steps you can resize your external hard drive with out losing data.
Follow these simple steps, you can easily and effectively partition your external hard drive without losing data. Then, its easily for you to good manage your data on the external hard drive. AOMEI Partition Assistant can be the best free disk partition tool. Besides create/move/resize/format/delete partition, it also has many other magic functions, such as Migrate OS to SSD/HDD, Quickly Partition, Windows To Go creator and so on. If you want to migrate OS from MBR disk to GPT SSD or HDD, you can upgrade it to AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro.