KillDisk, also known as [email protected] KillDisk, is disk sanitizing software which permanently erases all data on HDDs, SSDs, USB drives, SCSI storage and RAID disk arrays. For Home users, KillDisk Freeware, KillDisk Professional and KillDisk Ultimate are available. It also brings solutions for Business and Enterprise.
Here come the brief steps of erasing data with KillDisk Freeware.
1. Download and install KillDisk Freeware on your PC. Register the active license.
2. Select a disk you want to erase.
3. Open Erase disks dialog window by clicking the Erase command in the action toolbar.
4. Confirm erasure options in Disk Erase Options, Certificate Options and Report Options. Click OK to start the process.
5. When the process completes, you can see ERASED in the pane.
Tips: for more detailed information about how to use KillDisk, please refer to KillDisk User Manual.
Why do you need KillDisk alternative?
Powerful as it is, you may need an alternative to KillDisk. Users report that they get following KillDisk errors when they operate KillDisk.
KillDisk error Access is denied.
KillDisk cannot write to sectors.
KillDisk MBR needs to be fixed.
KillDisk not working.
KillDisk not booting.
Besides, users also complain that the process of erasure is too slow and takes a lot of time to complete. Therefore, if you are facing one of those errors or troubles, it is not a bad idea to turn to [email protected] KillDisk alternative.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is one of the best KillDisk free alternatives which help you erase data on HDD, SSDs, memory cards, flash drives, etc. permanently and thoroughly in a short time. No possibility to recover. It provides different arrangements for hard disk drive and solid state drive to ensure not hurting the lifespan. Create bootable USB/CD is available. It has user-friendly interface. Download freeware to have a try.
How to erase data on hard disk thoroughly in Windows 10/8/7?
Following paragraphs outline how to erase data on HDD and SSD separately. But in the first place, connect the drive to your PC. To erase all data on internal system disk, you need to create a bootable device and then perform erasure in Windows PE mode. See specific steps in bootable hard drive eraser. Now, let’s get to know them one by one.
Erase all data on hard drives
1. Install and launch KillDisk free alternative AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Right click the disk you want to erase and select Wipe Hard Drive.
2. Specify the passes you want to wipe (up to 100). In general, 1 or 2 passes are enough. The more times you set, the longer the process. The bigger the disk is, the longer the process.
3. Finally, click Apply and then Proceed to execute the pending operations.
Tips: above steps also apply to erasing files on USB flash drives, memory cards, SD cards, pen drives, etc.
Secure erase SSD without hurting its lifespan
1. Install or connect the SSD to your PC. Open AOMEI Partition Assistant and select SSD Secure Erase.
2. Choose the SSD you are about to sanitize.
3. SSD will enter into a frozen state due to its security system, which is quite normal. You can perform a hot swap as instructed in the provided link to solve the issue.
4. After the hot swap, you should be able to erase the SSD securely. The disk will become an Unallocated space then.
SSD Secure Erase currently only works in Windows 7 operating system.
You can initialize SSD for other purposes.
KillDisk is great disk cleaner for sure. However, finding a reliable KillDisk alternative is wise choice since accidents happen from time to time. Other than data wiping, you can also reformat a hard drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant, when the need ever arises. Its Professional edition provides more powerful features. You may want to upgrade to learn more.