SanDisk write protected error
You might encounter write protection error when you use a SanDisk flash drive, memory card, Micro SD card or SSD drive, etc. You could not modify, transfer files on SanDisk storage devices, and it refuses to format and create partitions on SanDisk pen drive/USB drive/SSD with Disk Management. As you know, write protection (read only) is the ability of a hardware device or software to prevent new information from being written or old information being changed. That is to say, you can read the data on SanDisk drives, but not write.
The factors responsible for SanDisk write protected issues
As a newbie for computer, maybe you have no idea how it happens. Thus, we will show you the factors as following text. These factors could be responsible for SanDisk write protected errors:
Improper file systems. Windows and Mac computers use different file system. Windows uses NTFS and Mac uses macOS; the NTFS file system is not supported by Mac computer. Besides, most of USB flash drive, pen drive, Micro SD card, and SSD drive use NTFS, FAT32 which is compatible with Windows Vista/7/8/10 operating system. Thus, if you insert a SanDisk storage device into Mac computer, you may encounter SanDisk write protected error.
Write protected switch is on the lock position. There is something you have to be aware of some SD cards or pen drives has a switch to turn on or off write protection on that device. Make sure it is on unlock position.
The SanDisk USB drive/SD card/SSD is hacked by malware. Please run an anti-virus software to scan a virus and remove it.
Your SanDisk devices are filled up somehow. Check and backup your files to a safe place, spare enough space then check if the problem insists.
The Windows registry key value is wrong.
Full solutions for SanDisk SD card/USB drive/SSD write protected issues
Generally, the best way to fix SanDisk write-protected error is formatting the device. But it doesn’t work sometimes in Disk Management. Therefore, is there any other way to remove write protection for SanDisk? You will get a Yes. Here, we will show you the best 2 ways to fix this problem: CMD commands and free SanDisk write protected format tool.
Remove read-only with CMD commands
You can choose one of the below two commands to do SanDisk write protection removal: Regedit and Diskpart.
1. Type Regedit in Windows search box to go Registry Editor.
2. Go to:
3. Double click the WriteProtect, Change the value from 1 to 0 and click OK to save this change. Then exit the Registry Editor and restart your PC, insert your SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD again, you’ll find the SanDisk device is not write-protected anymore. You can format it and create partitions on it at ease.
1. Type DISKPART in Windows search box and hit enter.
2. Enter LIST VOLUME and press enter.
3. Type SELECT VOLUME #, the # is the volume number of your SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD drive, which you want to remove write protection from.
4. Type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY, press enter.
Then check if the issue still exists, if the problem solved, congratulations. If not, you may try the best free write protected pen drive/SD card/SSD format tool for SanDisk to remove write-protected.
Free Sandisk format tool for write protected Micro SD card/pen drive/USB drive
The best free SanDisk write protection removal tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, which is a powerful disk partitioning software for Windows 7/8/10 users. It allows you to format a SanDisk write protected USB/SD card/SSD drive easily and efficiently. Here you can refer to the instructions to fix SanDisk write protected device:
1. SanDisk write protected format tool free download for write protected issue. Install and execute the procedure.
2. Insert your SanDisk USB drive/SD card/SSD drive into your Windows 7/8/10 PC, then right click the write-protected SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD drive and select Format Partition at the combobox.
3. Type Partition Labeland choose File System for SanDisk storage device, and hit OK.
4. Click Apply to remove write-protected with SanDisk format tool for write protected pen drive/SD card/SSD drive.
Then SanDisk write protection problem should be repaired. AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard as a free disk partitioning tool, you are given the ability to resize, move, create, delete, format, merge, split partitions, etc. You could create WinPE bootable media to boot up your PC if the system failed to boot, and so on. You could upgrade to Professional edition with many advanced functions like command line partitioning, allocate free space, migrate OS from MBR disk to GPT disk, dynamic disks and volumes management, and more. Or you could take a shoot with the Server edition, which covers all function of the professional one.