Windows built-in disk manager and dynamic disk
Disk Management is a useful built-in Windows 7/8/XP/2000/Vista partition manager that makes hard disk partitioning quick and simple. There are superior functions that are integrated in Server 2003/2008/2011/2012 disk management tool. They are free provided for personal users and server system administrators.
Windows 7/8/Vista/2008 provides a handy partition manager called Disk management that create/delete/format partition easy and safe. Last but not the least, it can support for dynamic disk. Many people create some simple volume, spanned volume etc to realize software RAID on a dynamic disk. In the past, PC users had to use 3rd party partition software like free Partition Assistant to manage disk partition. Now, you have a plus choice due to free disk manager. Windows 7/8/Vista/2008 is an improvement from its earlier operating systems in that it includes a built-in partition manager free of charge.
Dynamic disk has the advantages of supporting an unlimited number of volumes; this break down the limitation of only 4 primary partitions and 1 logical drive. You may also import dynamic disks from other computers. You can convert basic disk to dynamic to experience the advantages.
Convert basic disk to dynamic
1. Log on Windows as Administrator Privilege, and click Start Menu -> Run, and then type "diskmgmt.msc" to open Windows built-in Disk Management.
2. Right click the basic disk which you want to convert to dynamic, and click
"Convert to Dynamic Disk" option as follows:
3. According to the associated prompts and complete the conversion operation.
Windows Convert dynamic disk to basic with Disk Manager
1. Back up all volumes on the disk you want to convert from dynamic to basic.
2. Open Computer Management (Local).
3. In the console tree, click "Disk Management". (Computer Management (Local) > Storage > Disk Management)
4. Right click the dynamic disk you want to convert to a basic disk, and then click "Delete Volume" for each volume on the disk.
5. When all volumes on the disk have been deleted, right-click the disk, and then click "Convert To Basic Disk". The following is example.
Note: The dynamic disk must be empty before you can convert it back to basic disk. If you want to keep your data, back it up or move it to another volume before you convert the disk to a basic disk.
Convert dynamic disk to basic with NO DATA LOSS
The above mentioned way is relatively cumbersome. If you do not want to do these things manually, it is a best choice that using AOMEI Dynamic Disk Converter fulfills dynamic disk conversion to basic disk. AOMEI Dynamic Disk Converter can directly and safely convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk without loss of data.
It is a wizard software to assist you step by step do the conversion operation. From the above graph, please choose "Convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk". The method 1 will safely, directly and time-saving convert a dynamic disk to basic and protect all data. The method 2 can sector by sector clone any dynamic volume to basic partition high efficiently.