Unable to convert dynamic disk to basic?
I have a 3TB drive, and I have converted this HDD into a dynamic disk a few months ago. Now I plan to convert it from dynamic to basic disk. However, I found that there is no software seems to be able to do it. Is there any way to do this converting without losing my important data on it?
You may meet the similar situations that need to convert dynamic disk to basic without losing data. How to converting in your PCs or Servers?
Why failed to convert to basic in Windows 7/8/10?
According to Microsoft, to convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk you have to delete all volumes from the disk and permanently erasing all the data on the disk. Thus, you have to backup these data before converting. Otherwise, you will encounter the problem that cannot convert dynamic disk to basic.
Solution 1: Disk Management
Before converting, make sure you are a member of Backup Operators or Administrators group. Here are the steps you can refer to:
1. Backup all the data on your dynamic disk.
2. Input diskmgmt.msc into the search box on the desktop, and hit enter.
3. Right click the dynamic disk that you want to convert to basic in Disk Management, and choose Delete Volume, until there is no volume on that disk.
4. Right click the dynamic disk and select Convert to Basic Disk.
Solution 2: Convert dynamic disk to basic using CMD
The DISKPART command tool will lead you to convert dynamic disk to basic. The expatiation is listed as follows:
1. Backup all the information on the dynamic disk that you want to change it to basic.
2. Enter cmd in search box, run as administrator.
3. Type the following commands to convert, each command followed by enter key.
select disk <disknumber>
select volume=<volumenumber>, and type delete volume for each volume on the disk.
select disk <disknumber>
Solution 3: Best dynamic disk manager
Except for the above 2 solutions, the best dynamic disk management software – AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager would help you. This software is applied for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2011/2012/2016. Before do that, backup data in case of data loss.
1. Open AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, right click the dynamic disk on the home window.
2. Choose Convert to Basic Disk at the drop down menu.
3. Click OK at the next window.
4. Press Commit at the tool bar at the top of window.
5. Click Proceed to commit to convert dynamic disk to basic without losing data.
After a few seconds, the conversion will be completed and requires reboot. The unable to convert dynamic disk to basic error should be fixed. After that, you are allowed to create partitions and logical drives on the basic disk. Now, you could download it to have a try. In addition, the operation of changing basic to dynamic disk will keep your data intact. Other operations including resize dynamic disk or volume without losing data, extend system volume, move volume slice, shrink, create, delete, format dynamic volume, etc.