Situations to Change Partition Size in Windows Server 2008
1. Last year, I bought a computer which is Windows Server 2008, after using for a period of time, in my data partition, there are many files and folders taking up the partition space. There are three data partition, among them there is a small partition, and a big partition. I want to change the partition size, such as decrease the big one and increase the small one. Both partitions are set up as NTFS format.
2. As time goes on, many applications maybe are stored in system partition, therefore, c drive space is not enough to use. Always low disk space occurs.
When encounter these two situations, how will you do to solve them? Maybe, it is common way to change partition size Windows 2008.
1. Change partition size with Disk Management
2. Change Server 2008 partition size by a third server partition software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Server
Next this article will introduce you these two ways about how to change partition size in Windows 2008.
Change partition size with Disk Management in Server 2008
Similar to Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, its built-in disk manager-Disk Management also can be used to resize partition size. And you can use its shrink volume and extend volume to decrease and increase your partition size.
1. Open Disk Management, and right click d drive to select “Shrink Volume”.
2. Then you can type the amount of space to shrink in MB. You can shrink half space of the partition at most. Click “Shrink” to execute this operation.
3. Then after you finish shrink volume, here you can see there is some unallocated space. From this screenshot, the space is behind d drive.
4. If you right click c drive and select “Extend Volume”, you will find Extend Volume feature turns grayed out. Why? Because if the unallocated space is not next to a partition you want to extend, this feature cannot work, but if it is behind the partition, you can easily extend volume to change partition size Windows 2008.
Change Partition Size Windows 2008 by AOMEI Partition Assistant Server
If you meet the above situation, if you use Disk Management but cannot solve your problem, what would you like to do? Many users always ask one simple and effective way to change Server 2008 partition size without data loss. Actually, here is one server partition software-AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is recommendable. In partition size change, it can be used to resize partition, extend partition, merge partitions, and allocate free space etc. And these features can be used to do this task. Here take “Resize Partition” as an instance.
1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Server and right click d drive to select Resize Partition.
2. Then resize partition size by moving the bar left side to decrease d partition size.
Note: Here the unallocated space is behind d drive. And if you want to let it behind c partition, please Move Partition.
After you allocate some space from d drive by shrinking d partition, you can also use its Resize Partition feature to increase partition size. Right click c drive to resize partition. Then move the bar right side to change Server 2008 partition size to solve your low partition space problem.
After all operations are finished, click “Apply”.
In conclusion, it is very effective to change partition size in Windows Server 2008 with the assistance of AOMEI Partition Assistant. In addition to Server 2008, server 2003/2012/2008 R2/all PCs, the partition magic can be used to do related-disk and partition operations.