Open Disk Management in Windows Server 2016
First introduced in Windows XP, Disk Management is a Windows built-in utility that enables you to manage hard disk drives and the associating partitions or volumes. To partition hard drive with Disk Management in Windows Server 2016 is very convenient. You can access it via one of the following methods:
Method 1: Open it from the Quick Start Menu
Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.
Method 2: launch Disk Management from Run box
Press Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the box and press Enter.
Method 3: access Disk Management from Computer Management
1. Right-click the Start menu and select Server Manager.
2. In the Server Manager interface, under Tools tab, choose Computer Management.
3. In the next screen, click Disk Management on the left panel.
How to use Windows Server 2016 Disk Management?
To manage disks in Windows Server, Disk Management can be of great help. The main features of Disk Management are listed below:
- Connect and initialize disks.
- Create a basic, spanned, or striped partition.
- Format a volume or partition with ExFAT, NTFS, or ReFS.
- Convert the empty basic disk to dynamic or to GPT/MBR partition style.
- Extend and shrink NTFS volumes or partitions.
In the main interface of Disk Management, you can right click on a disk or partition, and then it will display a menu listing all the options for the item. Disk Management allows you to do most of the operations without reboot or interruption, and it is quite relatively effective.
For example, to shrink partition with Disk Management:
1. Within the Disk Management interface, right click on a partition and select Shrink Volume in the drop down menu.
2. Enter the amount of shrink space that you need and Click “OK”.
It will generate a block of unallocated space, which you can use to extend partition.
To extend partition:
1. Right click on the partition which needs extending and select “Extend Volume”.
2. In the Extend Volume Wizard window, select the unallocated space and click “Next”.
In seconds, Disk Management will complete resizing partitions. However, there is much more to be desired. Sometimes, you will find out the option grayed out, which is because Disk Management has some restrictions. Disk Management can only extend a partition when there is contiguous unallocated space at the right side of the target partition. Since the Move Partition feature is still missing in Windows Server 2016, generally, you may have to delete a partition before you can extend a partition. If a disk has partitions or anything, the Convert MBR to GPT option will be grayed out. Disk Management won’t allow you to delete any system related partitions, so to convert system disk to MBR/GPT is out of the question. Fortunately, there is a third party free partition manager software for Windows Server that lifts all the restrictions of Disk Management and provides many other excellent features.
Windows 2016 Disk Management alternative
AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is a disk partition tool for Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008, 2003. Compared with Disk Management, AOMEI Partition Assistant provides more flexible and convenient way of managing disks and partitions. It enables you to preview the partition layout before applying any changes to your hard drive so that you don’t need to worry about accidental file deletion. It brings the user-friendly interface, so you can manage your disks and partitions or volumes effortlessly. For example, to resize partition with AOMEI Partition Assistant:
1. Download and run this program.
2. With the main interface, right click on the partition to be shrunk and select “Resize Partition”.
3. In the next screen, you can shrink the partition from either ends of the partition by dragging the slider.
4. Right click on the partition you want to extend and select “Resize Partition” as before.
5. In the pop-out window, drag the slider to decide how much father you want to extend the partition.
6. Preview the partition layout, and click “Apply” to apply these operations if it contents you.
Besides that, AOMEI Partition Assistant also has many other useful features listed below:
- Allocate free space from one partition to another.
- Convert disks between GPT and MBR without data loss.
- Convert dynamic disk to basic disk without affecting OS.
- Migrate OS to SSD without reinstalling windows.
- Copy disk to another storage devices to save data in the case of system crash.
- Quick partition to partition hard drive with the preset partition size, type, and volume label.
- Delete or wipe partitions on the hard drive, even the partitions like recovery partition that Disk Management doesn’t have permission to delete.
- Create Windows 10/8 to Go disk, so you can boot windows 10 or 8 from an external hard drive.
- Run disk surface test to find and fix bad sectors.
- More other useful features.
Therefore, if you think the Disk Management in Windows Server 2016 is not enough for you or you need even more advanced features regarding disk and partition management, be free to try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server. If you need to install this software on multiple PCs and Servers, you can consider the AOMEI Partition Assistant Technician or Unlimited edition based on your needs.