Fail to Format Disk 0 Partition 3
I am trying to install Windows 10 with OEM License. My computer running very slow and I want to reset computer to factory state, and it would go smoother. So, I am trying to reinstall my Windows 10 to the original hard drive. However, I keep getting failed to format disk 0 partition 3 error and could not install OS on any of the partitions:
disk 0 partition 1 39.0 MB (30mb free) OEM (reserved)
disk 0 partition 2: RECOVERY 12.8 GB (6.1gb free)System
disk 0 partition 3 583 GB (569.7 GB free) Primary
Don’t worry if you encountered the Windows could not format a partition on disk 0, or unable to format hard drive while installing windows 7/8/10, error 0x80070057 etc. You could refer to the following words:
1. Remove all external storage devices
Before reinstalling, please remove all external hard drive, like USB drive, CD/DVD, SD card, even the hard drive in your computer except for the one on which you would like to install Windows 7/8/10. If it is not working for you, try next one.
2. Check Bad Sectors
If you meet fail to format disk 0 partition 3 or fail to format disk 0 partition 1 error, it is probably caused by bad sectors or other issues, you have to check disk for errors. The best disk partition manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant will help you out. Just follow the detailed steps listed below to fix bad sectors:
Tip: If your computer could not boot up, you have to borrow your friends or someone’s computer to create bootable media then check bad sectors to repair fail to format disk 0 partition 3 error.
1. Download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, and then run this program. Choose Make Bootable Media at the left side under Wizards on the main window. Follow the instructions to create WinPE/Linux bootable USB/CD/DVD.
2. Then use this bootable media to boot your issued Windows 7/8/10 computer. And AOMEI Partition Assistant will automatically run on your screen, and then use it to check bad sectors.
3. Right click the system hard drive, select Surface Test at the dropdown menu.
4. Click Quick Check option and press Start button to check bad sectors.
You could use Check Partition to check partitions one by one on your system hard drive, and your errors will be fixed.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is designed for disk partition manager for Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
3. Windows PowerShell Command Prompt
1. You have to work with Windows installation media to format the disk 0 partition 1/2/3.
2. Then boot into Windows installation media, and go Repair Windows>Advanced Startup>Command Prompt(admin).
3. Typing the following command and execute one by one:
select disk 0
create partition primary
select partition 1(2 or 3)
You might fix the error now. If otherwise, you might need to backup and replace the hard drive.
The Precaution You Might Need
Before the fail to format disk 0 partition 3 error occurs, it’s highly recommended that you backup entire hard drive or Windows operating system just in case system crash or other issues. You could try AOMEI Backupper for Windows data backup and restore, it’s for Windows Vista/XP/7/8/8.1/10 and server systems.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional could help you to resize partition with unallocated space to extend/shrink system partition or data partition, allocate free space from one partition to another, convert between MBR and GPT without losing data, and other advanced functions designed for you. If you are server user, try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.