How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT Disk?
About MBR and GPT Disk
MBR - Master Boot Record: it is a guide sector in the very front of drive. It was named in 1983 when partitioning the hard disk or flash disk of IBM compatible personal computer. At that time, PC DOS 2.0 was able to support hard disk. MBR describes the information of logical, including file system and organization type. Besides, MBR also contains the executable code produced when computer loads operating system in the second stage of start or the boot record connecting every partition (VBR). Such MBR is usually called boot routine.
Note: MBR cannot exist in a media which cannot be partitioned, such as soft disk.
What are the limitations of MBR disk?
What are the advantages of GPT disk?
- It can make full use of a very large size to break the 2TB limit of MBR disks.
- GPT disks allow an almost unlimited number of partitions. Though Windows implementation restricts the number to 128, it is completely sufficient for using.
- Each GPT partition has a unique identification GUID and a partition content type. And you can have more primary partitions.
- There nearly isn’t any limitation to the size of partition. The sector is numbered by a 64-bit integer. A partition with such number of sectors, can it be small?
- Partition on GPT disk has self-contained backup which is stored on the end of the disk while the original one is saved on the start. When one of the two is destroyed, you can restore it with the other.
- Every partition on GPT disk can has a name which is different from partition label.
Why Do You Need to Convert MBR/GPT Disk?
Before you do
The following tutorial applies to converting data and system disk between MBR and GPT styles. However, if you want to convert system disk between MBR and GPT styles, please change boot mode between UEFI (United Extensive Firmware Interface) and Legacy after conversion is completed. For GPT disk can boot via UEFI mode.
How to convert disk between GPT and MBR without affecting OS?
Tips: If you're an individual user, please select AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional and if you're a business user, please select the edition of Sever, Unlimited or Technician.
How to convert GPT to MBR without operating system?
When installing Windows 10/8/7, you may get an error saying that Windows cannot be installed to this disk: The selected disk has an MBR partition table or GPT partition table. In that case, you can convert disk between MBR and GPT before installing Windows. You can use a USB flash drive or CD to create an AOMEI Partition Assistant bootable media to convert to MBR/GPT without data loss. As for how to create a bootable media, please follow below steps:
After that, you should be able to install Windows on this disk. If data loss is not an issue, you can convert MBR to GPT with DiskPart utility. At the Windows Setup screen, press Windows key+F10 to bring out an command prompt, and then type “diskpart” to open DiskPart utility.
- If you want to convert a system disk between MBR and GPT styles, to guarantee system bootable, you need to enter BIOS and change the boot mode after the conversion is completed.
- For conversion between MBR and GPT disks on Laptop, please make sure the power supply is sufficient.
To ensure the data is consistent, do not abnormally terminate the program during the conversion process.
For free version, Aomei Partition Assistant cannot convert a system disk from MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR. And if you want to convert it, please upgrade free version to our paid version.
If you want to convert any larger than 2TB GPT disk back to MBR disk, you'd better ensure that the data does not account for space more than 2TB. Otherwise, the overloaded data will get lost. However, if you really want to convert your GPT drive on which there are more than 2TB data into MBR disk, you can transfer the extra data to other place before you start to convert.