Error Code: 1
Unmount drive letter failed, please reboot and retry.
You will get this error code in case of below conditions:
When change the drive letter failed. - eg.The program needs a change of drive letter from D to F, the program needs to unmount the D drive in order to stop the system from occupying it. If there is any system process running in this drive then the unmount operation end up failing.
When remove the drive letter failed. - eg.when partition operations such as resizing partitions, the program needs to unmount the target partition to prevent users from reading the data in it. If the program failed to unmount, you will get this notice.
1. You may reboot your computer and try again.
2. Remove the target drive letter with Partition Assistant or Windows Disk Manager first and retry the operation.
Failed to assign a drive letter for the volume, please manually add a drive letter for the volume by disk management.
Failed to update drive letter, please manually set a drive letter for the volume by disk management.
You will get this error code in case of below conditions:
When assign the drive letter failed. -- Eg. The program attempts to change the drive letter from D to F but failed.
When reassign the drive letter failed. -- Eg. The program reassigns the drive letter after finishing partitioning but failed.
1. In case of assigning drive letter failed, you may reboot your computer and retry with Partition Assistant.
2. Reboot your computer and you can assign the drive letter with Windows Disk Management.
Error Code: 4
Failed to lock the volume, please reboot and retry.
When the program is manipulating partition operations, the target partition should be locked to avoid interrupting by data changing from other programs, however those obstinate applications such as anti-virus and firewall cannot be stopped normally. The program fail to lock the partition then you will be given this error code.
1. You may manually close other running applications including Anti-virus etc. and retry.
2. Follow the indication given by Partition Assistant to restart to PreOS mode and continue the operation.
3. If you are still getting the error after trying the above ways, you may create a Windows PE Partition Assistant with the CREATE BOOTABLE CD function, and finish your operation in Windows PE mode.
Error Code: 5
Failed to lock the volume, please reboot and retry.
In operation of partitioning, partitions need to be locked firstly, when the operation has been finished, the program will unlock the target for you, if the unlock process failed, you will be given this error.
Restart your computer then the locked partitions will be reopened by windows automatically.
Error Code: 6
The partition table on the disk failed to update as other programs locked the partition table, please close other programs and retry.
All operations regarding to resizing partitions need to modify the partition table to take effect the task, the operations fails as modification fails.
1. In case of an offline or read-only status disk or volume, the modification of partition table could not be finished, then you need to switch them onto Online mode with Windows Disk Management or Diskpart tool, or to relieve the read-only attribute by Diskpart.
2. The underlying error of partition table such as the partition table overlap will lead to an update partition table failure. Meanwhile we should figure out the errors with some partition table repair software then retry the operation.
Note: A partition table backup before the problem fixing is recommended.
3. Applications which are made to protect disk and system will occupy or lock the partition table to prevent the system from being damaged. Partition Assistant will be shackled by these programs, so you need to close them then retry the operation. Or, you may create a Windows PE Partition Assistant with the CREATE BOOTABLE CD function, and finish your operation in Windows PE mode.
Error Code: 8
Partition table overlap & the following operations will stop. Reboot computer recommended.
There may be underlying problems on your partition table after having your system in use for a long time, the most popular one is partition overlap. Partition Assistant will detect the disk for this error, and you will be given this error code when the partition table overlap detected.
1. Partition Assistant is capable of fixing normal partition table overlap, you need just follow the indications you are given to fix the error and a reboot after the operation is required.
2. Regarding to those out of Partition Assistant's ability, you may use other tools to detect and fix them then retry the partition operation.
Note: Doing a backup of your partition table is recommended during the partition overlap fixing.
Error Code: 9
Update configuration file fail.
You may be told to restart to PreOS mode when applying some partition operations, then program will save the operations into a configuration file named ampa.ini which is located in the directory of C:\Windows. Partition Assistant under PreOS mode will need to read the instructions in ampa.ini to finish the operations. You will be given this error code if the process of writing the ampa.ini failed.
1. The reason is usually being that the Anti-virus or System Protection programs prevent Partition Assistant from writing ampa.ini, otherwise is the insufficient disk space for writing data. By then you should close those program or clean up your system for more space.
2. If you tried out and still are unable to do the operation, you may create the Partition Assistant bootable media then finish the operation under Windows PE mode
Error Code: 10
Update registry failed. Allow writing to registry when antivirus software block.
Some operations should be done under "PreOS" mode, program then needs to add the "ampa" information to the registry item named "BootExecute" which is lying in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" for the execution after reboot to run "C:\Windows\ampa.exe" to finish the task. You will be given the error code when writing to registry fails.
1. It is usually because the process of changing the registry is stopped by Antivirus or System Protection program. By then you should close those programs or let them allow Partition Assistant to do so then retry it.
2. If you tried out but still are not able to cross over the issue, then you may create the Partition Assistant bootable media and finish the operation under Windows PE mode.
Error Code: 12
Disk environment has changed and not consistent. Please reboot to again run the software to retry.
1. Do not insert or remove external storages during the operation.
2.If the issue persists, you may create the Partition Assistant bootable media and finish the operation under Windows PE mode.
3.If the operation in PreOS mode aborted, the operation is not finished and you will be given this error when the computer starts next time, then you need just press any key to reboot your computer to solve it. Or, After login Windows, re-run Partition Assistant once to solve the issue.
4. When reboot from destination disk after copying disk or migrating system with Partition Assistant, when you boot the system on the destination disk, you may be given this error, then you need just press any key to reboot your computer to solve it. Or, After login Windows, re-run Partition Assistant once to solve the issue.
Error Code: 14
Failed to set partition label. You can use Computer->Explorer to set.
Volume labels are the names of your volumes you specified to differentiate them, for example we usually specified the C partition with the label System, D partition with the label Data or Work. It is a simple operation, Partition Assistant allows you to set the volume label as well. The operation rarely fails or sometimes fails due to unknown reasons.
If you fail to set volume label with Partition Assistant, you may open Computeron your desktop then right click one of your partitions and choose Rename of the menu, after that type in texts to be your volume label.
Error Code: 15
Load driver failed, please reinstall the program.
After having installed Partition Assistant, you will have a driver program named ampa.sys located in C:\windows\system32. You will be given this error code when Partition Assistant failed to load the driver because it's been loss or corrupted.
1. Try to reinstall Partition Assistant and if your Anti-virus or system protection program prevents the process from installing the driver, you should admit the process to install the driver.
2. If the issue persists after reinstallation, then you may download again from our site and retry it.
Failed to update ARC number.
Failed to update boot.ini.
Error in the process of evaluating if the boot.ini exists.
The above errors codes are indicating the process of changing the boot.ini failed. boot.ini is a system file to save the partition parameters and boot information for Windows XP/2000/2003. Partition Assistant will need to save the partition changes to boot.ini before finalizing the process. You will be given this error when the Partition Assistant failed to change the file, and this will cause a system start failure.
1. If you are able to boot your system next time after the operation, then you should no more care it. If you are not able to boot from any or all your installed system, you could insert your Windows XP installation CD and get into system failure console to fix the boot.ini with bootcfg or fixboot, for detailed instructions you can search google for "bootcfg", "fixboot".
2. If you have no idea how to fix the boot.ini file, you may pull off your hard drive and insert to another computer or your friend's computer as a slave disk, then start the computer and find out the boot.ini file in the C partition on your hard drive, and send it to our Support team, we will help you to fix it.
Error Code: 18
No drive letter to assign partition because letter C-Z already being used.
The error code indicates that your drive letters (from C to Z) have been used up, you have no more letter for your new drive.
Error Code: 21
Not enough memory, please release more memory to retry.
You are given this error code when your computer has no enough memory for the execution.
You can enlarge your memory by adding new memory bank to your computer or close some running applications to release the memory.
Error Code: 22
Failed to open disk.
You will be given this error code when Partition Assistant failed to read the disk nor partitions in the disk due to some unknown problems.
1. It maybe the failure connection between the disk and computer or physical error like bad sectors, you may pull out and reinsert the disk or insert to other motherboard ports, or connect it as a removable external hard drive and try again.
2. If the problem persists, you may try to install your hard drive to another computer and try again, or check your hard drive with HD tune or tools like that to find out if there are any problems.
Error Code: 23
The operation already being canceled.
You are given this error code when you manually canceled the operation.
Invalid file system when convert FAT to NTFS.
Fail in the process of converting FAT to NTFS.
Fail in the process of converting FAT to NTFS. Please reboot to retry.
Error in FAT file system. Please amend it before retry.
Please release more free space before converting from FAT to NTFS.
Unknown error in the process of converting FAT to NTFS.
The above error codes are indicating the process of converting FAT or FAT32 to NTFS failure. Partition Assistant is invoking the convert.exe from windows to finish the operation, the operation fails when the windows convert.exe failed.
You can use the windows command line to finish converting. eg, Convert D drive to NTFS, type in convert.exe D: /fs:NTFS in command line to convert D to NTFS format.
Error Code: 32
You will be given this error code when Partition Assistant encounters an undefined error. We suggest that you could contact our support team and tell us the process of your partition operation or the operations you attempt to do. We will help you to avoid getting the error.
Failed to read sector (with bad sector).
Failed to write sector (with bad sector).
You will be given these error codes when there are bad sectors on your disk.
You may check your disk with Partition Assistant or HD Tune to find out the physical errors (Note. Our program cannot fix the bad sectors.) If the bad sectors are detected, we suggest you to apply a full backup of your disk with our free Backuper to prevent your system from being corrupted. You may try the MHDD to fix the bad sectors and we highly suggest you to fix the errors before the partition operation.
Error Code: 35
Failed to open the volume. It may be locked by other programs.
You may be given the error code when applying merging partitions. The process of merging partitions needs to copy files from one to another partition, the copying might be interrupted by unknown reasons, then the copying process fails.
Reboot your computer and retry the merging operation with Partition Assistant.
Error Code: 36
Failed to extend partition by using Windows Control Code, please reboot and retry.
With the purpose to extend NTFS partition space without restarting system or closing the running programs. Partition Assistant will invoke the system application priory to finish the extension; the operation may go wrong due to unknown reasons.
You may create an empty txt file named paextend.txt in the C:\Windows directory. The next time your run Partition Assistant, it will reboot to PreOS mode to finish the operation of enlarging NTFS partition with AOMEI himself's module when the paextend.txt detected.
Error Code: 37
Failed to update BCD file. Please use Windows Installation CD to amend it.
BCD(Boot Configuration Data) file is used to save the boot information and partition parameters for WIN7 and higher systems. Partition Assistant will update BCD file after having changed the system partition or boot partition's position, either when the disk index ID has been changed after copying disk and migrating system. You will be given this error code when the process of updating BCD fails.
1. If the system is able to boot after receiving the error, then you should pay no attention to it. Otherwise you could redo the partition operation by Windows PE bootable CD created by Partition Assistant with Create Bootable CD function.
2. If your system failed to start after the operation, you may try to amend BCD with Windows 7/8 installation CD or with a third-party tool like EasyBCD. If you knows the bcdedit command line inside out, you may also use bcdedit try to rebuild BCD file with the command line from Windows 7 System Repair Disc. Or you should contact AOMEI support if you have no idea of the error.
Error Code: 38
Failed to copy files from one partition to another.
The program will copy the entire files from one partition to another when applying Merge Partition. You will be given this error code when the program fails to copy files that refuse to be copied.
The files not copied will be recorded in the log file (a folder namedlog which is located in the Partition Assistant installation directory.) we suggest that you could copy the not-copied files to another partition manually then retry the operation. Otherwise you may copy all the data manually to another partition then delete the previous partition, after that extend the partition forward to the unallocated space with Partition Assistant to realize the merging.
Error Code: 39
Failed to copy encrypted files (EFS) from one partition to another. There are some EFS encrypted files on this partition, please first decrypt before merging.
The program might require PreOS mode to finish merging partition, but the EFS encrypted files cannot be processed by PreOS mode, then you are given the error code.
1. Decrypt the EFS encryption before merging the partitions and retry. Or copy the files manually to another partition then delete the previous one, after that extend the partition to merge them.
2. The operation under windows is recommended since EFS encrypted files can be processed by desktop mode. If the program under PreOS mode is definitely required, we suggest you to try finish the merging operation with Windows PE Bootable CD created by Partition Assistant.
Error Code: 40
The target partition has not enough disk space, or a single file is too large, not enough disk space to accommodate the single file. We suggest you to release some free space from the target partition and retry.
In the operation of merging your partitions, you may encounter troubles like the insufficient space on destination partition, or a single file is too large so the destination partition has no enough space for it, then you will be given the error code.
1. We suggest you to delete the unused files to release more space for the two partitions to be merged before do the merging operation; each partition should leave more free space (5GB or more) for the operation.
2. Another way for merging two partitions: you can copy the files manually to another partition then delete the previous partition, after that extend the partition with Partition Assistant to merge them.
Failed to get volume GUID. Please reboot computer and retry.
Failed to create a directory when merging partitions.
The above errors occur when failed to get volume GUID or create a directory when merging partitions due to unknown reasons. You may reboot your computer and retry it, if the issue persists, we suggest you to copy the files manually to another partition then delete the previous partition, after that extend the partition with Partition Assistant to merge them.
Error Code: 45
Failed to initialize this disk.
After adding a brand new disk to your computer , you need to initialize it before using it. It